The Teaching and Learning department in the College of Education at the University of Colorado Colorado Springs invites applications for an Instructional Coach. This is a part-time position. To learn more, visit the College of Education.
UCCS is a vibrant and growing military-friendly campus named by U.S. News and World Report as a top Western public university and recognized by the American Association of State Colleges and Universities as a leader in community engagement efforts. Further information about the Colorado Springs has a low per capita tax rate and a moderate cost of living. U.S. News & World Report ranked the city fifth in the 2016 best places to live in the United States. It boasts over 300 days of sunshine each year and the front range of the Rocky Mountains provides many opportunities for an active lifestyle.
The Instructional Coach will work with small groups of pre-service and in-service teachers including the NPD grant cohorts. The in-service teachers will be working towards earning their CLD (Culturally and Linguistically Diverse) endorsements. The Instructional Coach will support teachers in the classroom through observations and feedback; assist teachers in making connections between coursework and classroom instruction; use student-centered data to enhance instructional practices of the teachers; and help teachers apply current research on best practices in CLDE in the classroom. The Instructional Coach will meet with, observe, and provide feedback to their pre-service and in-service teachers throughout the year. The Instructional Coach will maintain observational data to show growth of the teachers. The Instructional Coach will also attend monthly meetings with the Lead Supervisor to focus on student-centered coaching and best instructional practices for working with CLD students.
- Work with pre-service and in-service teachers to assist them in developing instructional approaches based on culturally responsive pedagogy
- Mentor pre-service and in-service teachers in culturally responsive teaching
- Formally and informally observe pre-service and in-service teachers (grant participants), provide feedback, and adjust coaching objectives and strategies based on individual need.
- Research coaching/mentoring strategies and best practices for the instruction of culturally and linguistically diverse learners.
- The Instructional Coach will need to have extensive experience with and knowledge about working with students who are learning English as a Second Language.
- This individual will need excellent interpersonal skills and be skilled in providing constructive feedback to colleagues, in-service teachers, and pre-service teachers.
- This individual must be organized, responsible, professional, and approachable.
For the purposes of FLSA this position has been determined to be exempt from (not eligible for) overtime under FLSA.
Salary: $18,000 at 50% of full time.
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
- At least 5 years of experience working with students who are culturally and linguistically diverse at the K-12 level
- At least 3-5 years of experience as an instructional coach or teacher mentor in the field of English Language Development
- B.A. or B.S. in a related field
- MA in TESOL or related field preferred
Special Instructions to Applicants:• Applications submitted by April 25, 2017 will receive full consideration. • Applications submitted through email or surface mail will not be considered. Please apply at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. • Upon request, please be prepared to provide three professional references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. • Official Transcripts will be required upon hire.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Unofficial transcript(s)
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40041 - EDUC-Cntr for Self Determinatn
Posting Date: Apr 11, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Peggy Laney
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00732054