UX Design Supervisor
Housing IT Web Team is now accepting applications for a UX Design Supervisor. This is a full-time (1.0 FTE) 12-month professional exempt position which will assume the lead role for the evaluation and design of the user experience for both small and major web applications. This position will independently conduct user research using a wide variety of qualitative methods and a subset of quantitative methods to inform human computer interfaces. This role leads efforts to understand the underlying UX/UI issues and make informed recommendations to influence the information architecture, optimize task flow, look and feel, and build interactive prototypes for proposed design concepts. The selected applicant will need to communicate scenarios, end-to-end experiences, interaction models, and screen designs to stakeholders as well as propose and deploy designs which convert visitors to actors.
Our UX Design Supervisor is a unicorn who can work in a highly technical field and has a bold, creative vision to help reimagine existing sites and dream up new ways to improve the user experience. The successful candidate is not afraid to take risks while utilizing user research as the foundation for building excellent Information Architecture, inspiring User Experience designs, and engaging User Interfaces.
Who we are:
The Housing IT Web Team consists of back-end, front-end, and student developers, the UX Design Supervisor, and the Web Systems Manager. We are an Agile development shop, working in two-week sprints, using tools from Atlassian to help manage our process. We operate in a dev-ops environment and use git for version control. Our team creates, develops, and maintains all websites for Housing & Dining Services. We build on a Drupal platform, follow coding standards, accessibility requirements, and cross-platform, responsive, user-friendly design methodologies.
Housing & Dining Services provides services to over 9,000 undergraduate and graduate students on the CU Boulder campus. Our 650 full time staff and 1000 student staff strive to provide excellent customer service and to support student success through our programs in residence hall and apartment living, dining services and catering, conference services and childcare. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, which includes 22 days of vacation, 15 days of sick leave, 10 paid holidays, tuition reimbursement and an ECOPass. Housing IT has a staff of 35 professionals who provide technology support for the department of Housing & Dining Services.
What your key responsibilities will be:
User Experience (UX) Design & User Interaction (UI) Architecture
- Design UX that supports users' goals and behaviors.
- Initiate, suggest, and spearhead UI re-factorings for a more intuitive user experience.
- Act as the user advocate during the development process, subjecting early stage designs to usability testing or expert review, and offering implementation suggestions from a user-centered perspective.
- Deliver great site architecture, navigation design, page layout and interaction design which satisfy stakeholder goals.
- Build interactive prototypes, wireframes, storyboards, sitemap, and mockups for proposed design concepts.
- Communicate scenarios, end-to-end experiences, interaction models, and screen designs to stakeholders.
- Collaborate with clients as well as design and development team members to conceptualize strategies for application features.
- Collaborate with graphic designers in marketing and communications for site mockups and other branded graphic elements.
- Create user flows, sitemaps and other communication artifacts.
- Sketch and wireframe digital experiences. Develop simple interactive prototypes.
- Effectively communicate design ideas and proposals to individuals with varying levels of familiarity with the design/development process.
User Research & Usability Testing
- Collect and analyze user data through interviews, usability testing, A/B testing, participatory workshops, lab studies and surveys, and other current tools.
- Plan, conduct, and draw actionable conclusions from usability tests.
- Work independently and collaboratively to meet project objectives and requirements.
- Design studies that address both user behavior and attitudes.
- Observe, document, and interpret user research.
- Share research findings and designs with diverse audiences through written reports and oral presentations.
- Prepare and maintain quality documentation to manage program development and revisions, and prepare instructions and user documentation for users/operators.
- Supervise, train, and complete performance management for university staff. Administer time cards, vacation requests, etc.
- Ensure all human resource operations are in compliance with university and state policies and procedures.
- Manage IT professionals according to standards and best practices, encourage staff development, and improve group dynamics and productivity while honoring university policy.
- Uncover organizational challenges, assess options, and independently implement work patterns to increase productivity and output of staff.
What we can offer:
We offer a competitive salary starting at $70,000 and commensurate with experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be Creative. Be Empowered. Be Visionary. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in a technology related or business field, or four years of education or training post-secondary level in a related field or four years of equivalent work in a related field.
- UX Certification, or two years of professional work in the UX/UI/Usability field.
- Two years of experience with HTML and CSS.
- One year supervisory experience.
What you will need:
- Proven ability working in environment with shifting priorities while managing tactical deliverables and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to maintain strong rapport with teammates and stakeholders from multiple business groups.
- Ability to creatively solve complex technical problems and translate technical requirements into a user-centric, web-based solution.
What we'd like you to have:
- Two years of Drupal theming experience.
- Familiarity with remote user studies, card sorting, eye tracking, surveys, participatory design, interviewing, usability testing, and A/B testing.
- Experience with user interface design patterns, standard User-Centered Design (UCD) methodologies, and Information Architecture (IA).
- Strong working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, and wireframing tools like InVision.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by April 26th,2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
3. Please include a link to your webpage or portfolio on your resume or cover letter.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-09117.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10392 - Housing-Technology Services
Posting Date: Apr 11, 2017
Closing Date: Apr 26, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00702271