Instructor, Aviation Maintenance Technology - Rock Creek Campus
Instructor, Aviation Maintenance Technology - Rock Creek Campus
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09018
Location: Rock Creek Campus
Address: 17705 NW Springville Road, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: Varies
Position Status: Full-time Faculty
Starting Salary Range: $51,897/yr to $89,991/yr. Step 1 - $51,897; Step 2 - $53,716; Step 3 - $55,596. Hires will normally be at Step 1, Step 2, or Step 3 depending on experience.
Job Close Date: For best consideration apply by May 12, 2017
Are you ready to impact the lives of students? Portland Community College is looking for an Aviation Maintenance Technology Instructor at the Rock Creek Campus.
This position will start Fall term 2017 and is eligible for Continuous Appointment upon third year review.
Our faculty enjoy an atmosphere of collegiality and sense of belonging that rewards outstanding teaching and fosters active intellectual and creative engagement. PCC is dedicated to attracting and sustaining a diverse cadre of faculty who are, through their teaching and scholarly activities, committed to student success and high-quality academic programs.
The successful candidate will be able to:
Teach a broad range of Aviation Maintenance Technology courses.
Provide mentoring to part-time faculty in the department,
Demonstrate a commitment to the community college mission.
PCC serves nearly 90,000 full-time and part-time students, from all walks of life in the Portland area. We are committed to a culture which values human diversity and cultural competency for our students, our employees, and our partners.
Our core themes at PCC are:
* Access and Student Success
* Economic Development and Sustainability
* Quality Education
* Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
If this sounds like a community you would like to be a part of, and an important role that you would like to play for PCC, please review the minimum and preferred qualifications listed below, and apply today! Please be sure to describe how you meet each of these qualifications so that we can get to know you and what you can bring to Portland Community College.
Rock Creek Campus is about 12 miles west of downtown Portland, in the growing Beaverton-Hillsboro area. Our classes frequently use the neighboring farm and wetland areas as outdoor learning labs. Rock Creek served 22,280 students in the 2015-16 academic year. Find out more at http://www.pcc.edu/about/locations/rock-creek/.
Here is our intended timeline:
- Best Application Consideration Date: May 12, 2017
- On-Campus Interviews: Tentatively week of June 5, 2017
PCC offers a comprehensive benefits package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options; including Health, Dental and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance, Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
- 1 day of sick leave for every 18 days worked (~10 days/year)
- 21 hours of additional personal leave per year
- 4 paid holidays (which occur during the term you are teaching)
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age; plus tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits, please visit http://www.pcc.edu/hr.benefits
1. Instruct students in Aviation Maintenance Technology using approved course outcome guides developed by college-wide subject area Faculty in accordance with FAA standards; assess student performance in these courses.
2. Attend and participate in college-wide, campus/center division, department, and program meetings and activities.
3. Serve on Subject Area Curriculum Committees and/or such other College committees as may be assigned.
4. Assist in the recruitment of students.
5. Provide registration, advising, and guidance assistance to students.
6. Provide professional assistance to staff and students.
7. Provide information and assistance on College operations as may be requested.
8. Compile and/or research data as may be assigned.
9. Provide services to students in a manner which does not discriminate as to race, creed, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual preference or martial status.
10. Remain current in the Aviation field and educational issues.
11. Maintain industry and other institutional liaisons.
12. Maintain College safety standards in their work areas; ensure that students are trained in good safety practices; and make reasonable efforts to ensure that students follow good safety practices.
13. Comply with published College Policies and Procedures.
14. Perform other related duties as provided in Faculty Agreement.
- Associate of Applied Science in Aviation Maintenance Technology or other vehicle service field AND a valid FAA Mechanic certificate with both Airframe and Powerplant Ratings*
- Five years experience exercising the privileges of both the Airframe and Powerplant mechanic ratings, OR five years experience teaching at the college level or in an aviation maintenance training department or a combination of experience may be substituted, year for year, for aviation mechanic experience.
- Completed Math 60 or tested into higher than Math 60
- Completed Writing 121 or Writing 227 or demonstrated writing competency with a professional writing sample
- Documented 2 years of supervisory work experience or served in a customer service/support/management position
- Previous teaching experience in a lecture-lab environment, particularly in the field of aviation maintenance technology.
- Recent, diverse civil aviation maintenance industry experience.
- Holder of an Inspection Authorization.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including technical writing
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team member.
- Bachelor Degree, preferably in aviation, aerospace, or related field
- Demonstrated course development experience.
- Holder of Private Pilot (or higher) certificate
- Teaching or Instructor certificate or degree, especially in aviation.
- International / cross-cultural experience.
- Office/Computer proficiency, including proficiency with presentation/instructional software applications.
Additional Posting Information:
OPENING SUBJECT TO BUDGET CONSIDERATIONS AND APPROVAL
This is a full time (1.0 FTE) probationary faculty position commencing September 2017. Hours of work may include evening or weekend teaching assignments. Initial assignment will be at the Rock Creek Campus.
More information is available at: http://www.pcc.edu/hr/employment/faculty-information.html
To apply for this position you must submit:
1) Completed online application (please be sure to include complete employment history in either the application or resume/vita)
2) Cover letter specifically stating how you meet each of the qualifications for the position, including preferred qualifications. (Attach document)*
3) Current Resume/Vita (Attach document)*
4) Unofficial transcripts indicating degree award date (clear photocopies accepted)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
After initial screening, applicants selected by the committee for further consideration may be asked to submit additional information.
Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
-Upon hire candidate will be required to supply official copies of transcripts for all degrees earned.
*Academic Transcripts for Faculty Positions - A copy of an academic transcript from an accredited institution of higher education must accompany all applications for faculty positions. The type of degree and date degree awarded must appear on the transcript.
-Non- U.S. degree transcripts are required to be evaluated by a U.S. credential evaluation agency. (see http://www.pcc.edu/hr/employment/faculty-information.html)
-You may scan your transcript(s) and attach them as a ".pdf" document if you have access to a scanner. Attaching transcripts will ensure they are received with your application.
-No Access to Scanner? - You may fax or mail a copy of your transcripts to the Employment Office. The copy should be received by the best consideration date. Fax to 503-978-5055.
- Applicants Anticipating Degree Completion by September 1, 2017 - The applicant must supply a letter from his/her university stating that the degree will be granted by that date. This document can be faxed or mailed. Emails are NOT acceptable.
This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Faculty Federation Employees. Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction.
Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.