Senior Director for Business Development
As a leadership member of the Relationship management team, the Senior Director for Business Development is responsible for overseeing a recruitment program for new university members and developing and managing third-party partnerships. H/She will craft a broad strategy to grow membership in The Common Application and identify organizations and partners that can support the Common Application’s work.
We are looking for a collaborative, strategic-minded, and enthusiastic relationship builder with strong communication skills and a passion for education and technology. This is the ideal position for a hardworking, proactive, and innovative individual looking to work in a collaborative and collegial workplace learning from, with, and among smart, interesting, and fun professionals.
Senior Director for Business Development
Reports to the Chief Relationship Officer
Essential Responsibilities / Duties:
Contracts and Partnerships
- Work closely with leadership on new partnership opportunities, specifically Chief Strategy Officer and Senior Director, Access and Education.
- Manage contracting and negotiations with new and existing partners.
- Manage the ongoing relationships with partners (e.g., software/technical, other non-profit organizations, and services).
- Work closely with the senior management team as programs are executed to make sure all important contributors remain actively engaged.
- Create a process for evaluation of new partners, establishing business / financial / operational goals of a relationship, maintaining documentation of the relationship and its operations, and implementing the organization's technology partner program
New Member Recruitment
- Help to build the value proposition for the Common Application membership and work with key stakeholders to articulate the organization’s story.
- Craft new approaches to membership recruitment.
- Meet or exceed the Common Application’s annual membership revenue recruitment goals.
- Represent The Common Application in key internal, member, and industry forums to convey product strategy and roadmap, and solicit feedback from stakeholders.
- Assess competitive pressures.
- Drive the recruitment team on a daily basis to achieve stated goals and quotas. This will be accomplished by following account activity, close rates, time-to-close data, and strong pipeline management.
- Improve sales effectiveness by providing fact based analysis on competitive trends.
- Submit weekly reports to management that reflect closed business, forecasted business, pipeline development, and other management issues or concerns.
- Ensure team members follow procedures and document work.
Desired Skills and Experiences:
- Bachelor's degree required; Graduate degree or MBA preferred.
- Experience successfully working with Higher Education enrollment leaders and Presidents or C-level with 4+ years of sales or account management experience.
- Proficiency in Salesforce strongly encouraged.
- Solid understanding of undergraduate and post-traditional college application landscape and technology differentiators of key competitors.
- Passion for education and technology and its opportunity to better enable learning opportunities for students, parents, teachers, and administrators.
- Experience managing software/technology partnerships
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Comfortable and effective in small group and large group presentations.
- Experience and a proven track record of participating in education forums.
- Success in completing market-sizing, documenting business plans, and creating financial models to support plans.
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 20% of time.
- Willingness to roll up the sleeves in a fast-paced environment.
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive salary and an extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits and future growth opportunities within the organization. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our staff, where people can learn and grow. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative workplace where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
To respond to this opportunity, send resume with cover letter to: