Packaging Equipment Engineer
Packaging Equipment Engineer
REPORTS TO: Engineering & Maintenance Manager
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Packaging Equipment Engineer position is responsible for the design, development, installation, and support of automated packaging equipment in support of the manufacturing operations within the Raleigh Imaging Site. The position will help Company continue to achieve excellence as defined by best industry practices. The position will be responsible for establishing optimum work processes and administrative controls and deploy to the key functions.
The Packaging Equipment Engineer will work with the Project Engineers, Process Engineers, Process Mechanics, Facilities Mechanics and other Operations personnel to make sure that all equipment is designed and managed for maximum utility and Total Cost of Ownership.
The Packaging Equipment Engineer is a "hands on" role. This position will work with little or no supervision, applying scientific knowledge, engineering knowledge, mathematics, and ingenuity to complete assignments related to the support of automated packaging equipment in manufacturing environment and serve as the key technical resource for the packaging operation focusing on preventative maintenance, troubleshooting and problem resolution for electronic/mechanical equipment issues. This position also plays a key role in continuous improvement and performance excellence. The key is packaging equipment, not the materials side. This position will work alongside and support Process Mechanics as needed.
1. Improves the performance of packaging lines by using effective preventative maintenance, timely problem solving, equipment improvements, and training of production and maintenance personnel as needed.
2. Provides maintenance support to all aspects of the automated packaging process in accordance with FDA guidelines, current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP), and all internal operating procedures.
3. Coordinates and schedules outside services when needed to support the efforts of the mechanics.
4. Supports or Leads projects as needed.
5. Provides leadership to mechanics to maintain a culture of collaboration, continuous improvement, safety, and strives to develop a high-performing maintenance team.
6. Meets local, state, and federal regulatory requirements relevant to Packaging lines and Engineering areas of responsibilities.
7. Actively participates in all Environmental, Health, and Safety aspects of the plant and ensures all safety procedures and programs are effectively being followed.
8. Promotes knowledge and implementation of 5S, TPM, SMED, and other lean/six sigma/continuous improvement tools.
9. Implements measures to baseline maintenance performance and then improvement targets as they relate to cost, quality, downtime, etc.
10. Utilize and improve the equipment risk assessment techniques so that prioritization can be given to all resources and how they are managed.
11. Develop and/or improve current methodologies and work practices as they relate to Preventative and Predictive Maintenance.
12. Review data and information using basic statistical tools to transition time-based maintenance into frequency-based maintenance and/or Reliability Centered Maintenance.
13. Work with Manufacturing Operations Personnel and Process Engineers to implement standard methods for work instructions, return to service protocols and equipment risk profiles.
14. Work with Project Engineers, Process Engineers, Process Mechanics and Procurement to establish a spare parts inventory that optimizes the business needs of the plant with cost outlay.
15. Use metrics to help drive business decisions on asset replacement versus useful life extension evaluations.
16. Add engineering knowledge and experience on equipment during the design phase.
17. Focus on safe, efficient, reliable maintenance and operation of equipment to ensure the production of quality products.
18. Provide electronics troubleshooting and resolution: AC and DC Drives; PLC Troubleshooting supporting Automation & Instrumentation department.
19. Improve the reliability of the equipment.
20. Work with vendors to source parts and to substitute OEM parts with more economical options, designing and testing improved parts, updating older electronics that are no longer supported by manufacturers to improve equipment functionality.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC/NON-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
1. Work safely in accordance with regulations, standards, and procedures and in a manner that eliminates unreasonable risk to health and the environment. Notify management of unsafe conditions or practices, unlawful activities and activities which present unreasonable health and/or environmental risk. Report all safety and/or environmental incidents to management immediately.
2. Enforce EHS procedures and respond to EHS concerns within his/her area of operational responsibility. Conduct incident investigations for all incidents that may occur within his/her department. Follow through on all safety related corrective actions in his/her department.
3. Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
Education required/ preferred:
Bachelor's degree in an Engineering field (preferably Mechanical or Electrical) and relative experience.
5 to 7 years of significant engineering and/or operational experience working with electrical, electronic and mechanical systems and equipment.
Experience in specifying automated packaging equipment related to pharmaceutical secondary packaging.
Familiarity with equipment control software, including PLC and vision systems.
Proven experience with automated manufacturing line integration of equipment and related systems.
Technical background in health care, nutritional products, laboratory diagnostics, medical devices, pharmaceutical, or similar industries preferred.
Understanding of Standard Operating Procedures, current Good Manufacturing Practices, and regulatory requirements.
Position is responsible for supporting and improving automated packaging equipment
PinPoint Solutions is a contingency recruiting firm based in Greenville, SC. The company was founded on the premise that one size does not fit all. Different clients have different needs and our ability to align our resources, solutions and expertise around those specific needs sets us apart from others in our industry.
We specialize in finding top caliber talent for our clients from the Director level to the individual contributor. PinPoint Solutions, along with its sister division, Westport Intl, provide a great variety of customized recruiting products and services. Using advanced internet search tools and traditional methods of targeted recruiting, PinPoint Solutions defines the right framework and search time to deliver optimum results while managing client costs. Because we offer a solution based approach versus the typical transactional approach, we build more accountability into the relationships with our clients.
Mon, 10 Apr 2017 12:56:18 PDT