Associate Director of Financial Aid
Thank you for considering Curry College in your search.
About Curry College:
Founded in 1879, Curry College is a private, four-year, liberal arts-based institution located on a wooded 131-acre campus in Milton, MA just seven miles from downtown Boston. Accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC), Curry College offers 24 undergraduate majors, over 60 minors and concentrations, as well as four graduate programs.
Curry College is committed to a policy of equal opportunity in every aspect of its operations. The College values diversity and seeks talented students, faculty and staff from a variety of backgrounds. Curry College is an equal opportunity employer that encourages diversity in the workplace.
Under the direction and supervision of the Director of Financial Aid, the Associate Director of Financial Aid will work as part of the Student Financial Services Team. The primary responsibilities include: management, review and awarding of a traditional student caseload of approximately 300 students, oversight of and managing all aspects of the Federal Direct Loans and Alternative Loan Processes from loan certification and problem solving to process for ensuring funds disbursement to the College for all student populations including traditional and non-traditional undergraduate and graduate populations, staff supervision, participation in key College events and presenting to prospective students and families. The incumbent will have supervisory responsibility of 3.5 staff members; 1 dedicated to loan processing and 3 dedicated to providing customer service to all prospective and enrolled students and their families. The incumbent will partner and collaborate with the College’s Study Abroad Team, Admission Office and the Athletics office.
Areas of responsibility include but are not limited to:
Operational Management & Staff Oversight
- Supervises 3.5 FTE’s responsible for service and processing in financial aid, loan and student account matters.
- Participates as part of the administrative management team overseeing departmental operations and makes suggestions for business process redesign as it impacts Service and/or Loan staff.
- Performs return to title IV and state aid calculations for withdrawn students for both traditional and CE/Graduate student populations.
- Responsible for day-to-day financial aid and loan operations in Director’s absence.
- Participates on College-wide committees as appropriate.
Student Caseload Management
- Review and awarding of prospective traditional students financial aid applications during recruitment and enrollment cycle.
- Reviews and awards an enrolled traditional student caseload of approximately 300 students.
- Reviews financial aid applications and prepares accurate and timely financial aid awards for caseload.
- Provide in-person and via telephone, financial aid and educational financial planning counseling to families in caseload.
- Manages all aspects of the Federal Direct Lending and private loan programs from ensuring origination and disbursement to monthly reconciliation of federal programs.
- Serves as the expert resource for SFS staff in the areas of federal and private loan options and application processes. Acts as a resource and referral for complex problem-solving for families having issues in borrowing loans.
- Trains SFS staff in loan options and use of vendor websites to review loan statuses. Oversees other SFS staff in loan certification.
- Develops and manages contact letters for students and families for loan issues, i.e. PLUS Loan denials or other private loan issues.
- Oversees annual RFI process for Alternative Education Loans and manages Alternative Loan Financing Information publications for all student populations.
- Attends loan conferences and works with supervisor to ensure compliance in all Federal Direct Loan processing and development of loan disbursement dates according to regulatory requirements.
- Maintains mandatory entrance-counseling records for all first time Federal Direct student borrowers.
- Responsible for planning and implementing Loan Exit Interview workshops for the main campus as well as satellite campus(es).
- Develops and implements debt and default management strategies and educational programming for student loan borrowers.
- Using the Banner FA software, track loan status documentation for all students. Follow-up with students when required.
- Provide insightful and meaningful input/suggestions regarding set-up and management of loan programs on the Banner FA software.
- Act as a loan liaison for all off-campus vendors. Set up new product information sessions as well as coordinate vendors’ attendance at Curry events like Orientation.
- Provides weekly processing statistics to supervisor.
- Keeps Director of Financial Aid and Associate Vice President of Finance for Student Financial Services Student Financial Services apprised of trends in lending and loan processing.
Enrollment and Retention Activities
- Plans pro-active financial affordability counseling opportunities for students’ families attending Accepted Students’ Day /Admissions Open Houses/etc.
- Presents financial aid information to prospective students and families and prepares power point presentations as appropriate.
- Incorporates social media and web meetings in to planning for outreach to prospective and enrolled students and their families.
- Participates in classroom visits to discuss student financial literacy.
- A Bachelor’s Degree and six to eight years of financial aid or affordability and loan experience.
- Experience in a fast-paced environment requiring multi-tasking and priority setting regularly. Progressively responsible role in student financial aid /student financial services with federal aid/or state programmatic responsibilities with preference for loan management experience.
- Experience with use of federal student aid websites for program administration or caseload work including: NSLDs, COD. Proficient in Microsoft office (Word and Excel).
- Available for extended evening and weekend hours as necessary.
- Available to work a rotation of evening hours as required by all staff.
- Master’s degree is a plus.
- Systems experience preferably in Banner and ELM.
At the College’s discretion, the education and experience prerequisites may be excepted where the candidate can demonstrate, to the satisfaction of the college, an equivalent combination of education and experience specifically preparing the candidate for success in the position.
Employment in this position is contingent upon the successful completion of all required pre-employment background checks.
Please apply online at: http://www.curry.edu/about-curry/employment/job-opportunities.html for consideration. Interested Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three professional references including complete contact information and professional titles.