Director of Planning
The University System of Georgia (USG) is one of the nation’s largest and leading public higher education systems, with 28 institutions, 320,000 students, and a space portfolio of over 100M square feet. The USG is committed to creating a more educated Georgia that is prepared for the global, knowledge economy by increasing degree completion, ensuring academic excellence, spurring research and creativity, driving business creation, and making effective and efficient use of resources. The USG will accelerate our state’s higher education commitment to educational attainment, accountability, partnerships, performance, value, and global competitiveness. Our organizational core values founded upon the principles of Integrity, Excellence, Accountability, and Respect.
The USG is accepting applications for the Director of Planning in Real Estate and Facilities (REF). REF supports and promotes the value of Georgia’s higher education learning environments by providing strategic direction and leadership in all areas of facilities management, including planning, space assessment, project development, design and construction, real estate, operations, and environmental health and safety.
The ideal candidate will be a dynamic, progressive, collaborative, and resourceful planner/analyst with a demonstrated professional focus on outcomes and a strong value orientation. Educational and professional background would include physical/campus planning, capital planning and prioritization, and space data management, analysis, and technology. The candidate would be adroit in communication with a broad variety of stakeholders and the facilitation of complex group dynamics, and proficient in the graphic, written, and oral communication of planning data and analytics.
The Director of Planning is responsible for leading and directing campus master planning and system capital plan evaluation and development, managing system space/portfolio data reporting and utilization assessment, and providing analysis and subject matter expertise on a broad array of project and portfolio issues for strategic decision support. The position collaborates extensively with other professionals within Real Estate and Facilities as well as system and institutional planning and assessment functions (Academic Affairs, Fiscal Affairs, Research and Policy Analysis, and Information Technology Services).
The position will remain open until filled with an anticipated start date of June 2017. Apply via the University System of Georgia career portal at http://www.usg.edu/hr/jobs/.
- Directs and oversees master planning and facility needs assessments for USG institutions; directs and manages system-level facilities planning methods and guidelines.
- Manages and coordinates USG system-level capital planning and evaluation, which supports and informs the USG’s annual state funded capital budget request.
- Establishes goals and metrics; directs and oversees facilities data management and reporting processes; leads and executes space utilization methodology and analysis.
- Integrates facility planning and assessment across all USG campuses and between institutions and the system office; liaises with a variety of stakeholders to ensure inclusive planning and relevant analysis.
- Designs and executes a diverse range of special reports and analyses, as assigned.
- Uses a variety of software applications to manage and analyze data; synthesizes results and prepares reports, recommendations and presentations for leadership.
- Provides technical and strategic planning support in the integrated review of proposed real estate and facilities projects.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- A master’s degree from an accredited university and at least five (5) years related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
- Educational/professional background in: physical/campus planning; institution/system capital planning, evaluation and prioritization; and space/portfolio data management, assessment and technology.
- Demonstrated competence in the collection, validation, management, and analysis of complex data sets from multiple sources in a public higher education environment, including the ability to optimize assessment methods and outcomes within the constraints of incomplete and imperfect data.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including engagement with internal and external stakeholders with varying prominence and influence, and facilitation within complex group dynamics.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the graphic, written, and oral communication/presentation of planning data, analytics, findings, and recommendations.
- Spatial analysis knowledge and capability.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of Board policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of related state and federal laws related to real estate.
- Knowledge of real estate markets and business practices.
- Knowledge of construction and project management.
- Knowledge of capital planning and integrated planning techniques.
- Knowledge of general land use and real estate development practices.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in data and statistical analysis and synthesis.
- Skill in strategic planning.
- Skill in using specialized analysis software.
- Skill in oral and written communication and presentation.
- Skill in interpersonal relations.
- Ability to work independently.