Licensing Associate, OEIP
University of Delaware
Job Title Licensing Associate, OEIP
Job ID 104537
Location Newark, DE
Office of Economic Innovation & Partnerships
PAY GRADE: 31E
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
A component mission of the Office of Economic Innovation and Partnerships (OEIP) is to manage and market the University's knowledge-based assets for the social and economic benefit of the University and the State. The assets, which encompass faculty and staff, an extensive R&D capacity and capability, incubation and experimental facilities and a portfolio of intellectual property (IP), are marketed to the external corporate world, as individual IP licenses or more importantly as components of sustainable partnerships that include licenses, collaborative research agreements, research contracts, consultation agreements etc.
Under the limited direction of the Assistant Director OEIP, the position has two major responsibilities:
- Participate in the management of UD's intellectual property and the transfer of technology to the market place
- Participate in the development of sustainable partnerships with the private sector, leveraging UD's knowledge-based assets.
- Manage a portfolio of invention disclosures, assess patentability and commercial value/markets; select and take a course of action.
- Work with the Assistant Director, Technology Transfer in negotiating and executing business deals that return fair value to the University.
- Manage the administrative requirements of the IP portfolio, i.e. office actions, license agreements, milestone payments etc.
- Participate as a member of the University's Commercialization Committee; provide recommendations regarding investment and abandonment decision.
- Participate in the development of strategies, policies and procedures needed to attract private sector entities into relationships with the University.
- Participate in the development and implementation of a marketing program to promote UD's knowledge-based assets to the corporate segment.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with a variety of constituencies both within and outside the University relevant to the task of developing corporate partnerships.
- Assist in other initiatives related to developing corporate partnerships, as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in a science or engineering related field and four years related experience. Graduate degree or MBA, preferred.
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, analytical, verbal and written communications skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate internally with diverse constituents, the University community and with potential external partners.
- Familiarity with U.S. patent law (including procurement process) and customary agreements used in technology transfer such as license agreements, NDA's, IIA's, option agreements, etc. preferred.
- Experience in establishing business partnerships and innovative deals with private sector entities preferred.
- Knowledge and appreciation of business concepts and requirements as applicable to a large academic, research institution preferred.
- Experience in business development, including the development, preparation, negotiation, review, and execution of a wide range of business contracts; in depth knowledge and consistent application of research and business ethics preferred.
Please submit cover letter, resume and three professional references as one document.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html