Senior Laboratory Technician
University of Delaware
Job Title Senior Laboratory Technician
Job ID 104541
Location Newark, DE
PAY GRADE: 27N
DEADLINE: Open until filled
CONTEXT OF THE JOB:
Under general supervision, performs a variety of technical laboratory duties in support of instructional and/or research programs. The position provides support for laboratory instruction across the curriculum (General, Organic, Analytical, Biochemistry) with an emphasis on organic and biochemical reagents and preparations. Independent judgment, thorough understanding of the theory, and practical understanding of the application of scientific techniques are required.
- Prepares and distributes chemicals, unknown samples, chemical solutions and biological preparations to teaching laboratories. Determines quantities to be prepared and distributed from written or oral instructions.
- Maintains and controls inventories of supplies and equipment; initiates orders; receives, checks and stocks all ordered supplies and/or parts and equipment.
- Responsible for proper disposal for all excess solutions, chemicals, and materials used in laboratory exercises. Assists instructional staff in maintaining safe/clean environment of teaching laboratories.
- Provides training and oversight of student assistants.
- Procures and sets up laboratory equipment, instruments and materials used in performing scheduled tests or experiments in the laboratory.
- Demonstrates correct use of laboratory apparatus and instrumentation to teaching assistants as necessary.
- Works with departmental staff to maintain standard instructional laboratory equipment, which may include troubleshooting and making minor repairs with or without departmental shop assistance; ensures equipment is in safe working order.
- Works with departmental staff to maintain instructional laboratory computing facilities.
- Records experimental procedures, measurements, observations and tests associated with set-up and checking of experiments used in laboratory instruction.
- Keeps records and writes reports as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Frequently required to use personal protective equipment to prevent exposure to hazardous materials.
- Minimum of High School diploma/GED and three years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- In-depth knowledge of laboratory techniques, procedures, instrumentation and principles of chemical science.
- Proficient with laboratory-focused computer technologies and use of Microsoft Office.
- Proficient with scientific math needed for chemical procedures used in solution preparation and introductory quantitative chemistry courses.
- Familiarity with safe use of appropriate chemicals, supplies and equipment.
- Ability to work independently from oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively with faculty members and students.
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact well with people of all ages and with diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to make independent decisions and judgments.
- Technical aptitude.
- With or without assistance, must be able to routinely lift up to 50 pounds.
- Requires dexterity in handling delicate and hazardous materials.
- Ability to accurately discern colors and accurately measure out laboratory materials.
- May require a valid vehicle operator's license and evening and/or weekend working hours on-campus.
Employment is dependent upon passing a University-specified medical evaluation related to the use of respiratory protection equipment
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html