Postdoctoral Researcher, Center for Composite Materials
University of Delaware
Job Title: Postdoctoral Researcher, Center for Composite Materials
Job ID: 104074
Location: Newark, DE
Deadline: Open until filled
Context of the Job and Major Responsibilities:
The Center for Composite Materials, an interdisciplinary research center within the College of Engineering, has annual research expenditures in excess of $9M, derived largely from external sources, including grants, industrial contracts, and consortium membership fees. The Center involves graduate and undergraduate students, research professionals, post-doctoral researchers and faculty across campus and administrative and support staff. CCM has been a Center of Excellence since 1986 and has an active industrial consortium. CCM has state of the art facilities housed in two buildings.
Under the direction of a CCM principle investigator (PI), the Postdoctoral Researcher conducts collaborative research in the PI's funded research program(s) with professional staff and students. The Postdoctoral Researcher will performs interdisciplinary research in molecular modeling of polymer materials.
- Molecular modeling of polyethylene and epoxy polymer materials
- Predict thermo-mechanical properties of the model materials through molecular dynamics simulations
- Maintain a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art in molecular modeling of polymer and molecular modeling techniques
- Present work including theory, approach, results, and conclusions at CCM review meetings and provide input for technical reports
- Participate on proposal teams with CCM Principle Investigator (PI) and professional staff
- Write two-four journal and conference papers annually
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
- Ph.D. in Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, or Chemical Engineering
- Three years' experience in molecular modeling of polymer materials through classical molecular dynamics simulations with LAMMPS or related software
- Experience in ReaxFF, DFT/Ab-initio calculation, MATLAB and C++ is preferred
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Ability to interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated capacity to conduct research evidenced by a solid track record of high-quality international peer-reviewed publications.
- Strong background in polymer physics & polymer chemistry
- Experience in thermo-mechanical characterization of polymer
How To Apply
When applying please submit a one-page cover letter and your resume as one document. Also, please remember to provide names, addresses and telephone number of at least three references in the online application.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Delaware is an Equal Opportunity Employer which encourages applications from Minority Group Members, Women, Individuals with Disabilities and Veterans. The University's Notice of Non-Discrimination can be found at http://www.udel.edu/aboutus/legalnotices.html