Faculty Orientation Educator - PT, temp MCCC unit position
About Greenfield Community College:
Greenfield Community College is located in the beautiful and historic Pioneer Valley of western Massachusetts, between the foothills of the Berkshire Mountains and the fertile farmland of the Connecticut River watershed. GCC is a public community college of approximately 2,200 students. Known for the caring and supportive attitude of the faculty and staff, and for the broad support it enjoys from the surrounding community, the college is fully accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. In addition to a strong Liberal Arts focus, the College offers a wide variety of innovative and successful programs including Gender and Women's Studies, Fine Arts, Nursing, Renewable Energy, and Outdoor Leadership, as well as varied learning environments, from traditional classrooms, to distance learning, peer tutoring, one-on-one faculty-student advising, workforce development, and learning communities that cater to specific needs and interests. Close to fifty percent of Greenfield Community College students transfer to four-year colleges, and it is Smith College's largest source of community college transfer students. Much of the College has recently undergone a multi-million dollar renovation that sets the stage for future developments in learning. Greenfield Community College actively encourages and provides opportunities for leadership and professional development.
Posted: Apr 13, '16
Ref_No: MCCC 16-07
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
Participate in Orientation training; Plan and implement an academic breakout session as part of New Student Orientation for a specific academic focus area with the support of an Orientation Leader. Academic focus areas include: Business & Information Technology; Math, Science & Engineering; Health Science & Health Occupations; Education; Social Sciences & Criminal Justice; and Liberal Arts & Humanities.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Participate in Orientation training organized by the Office of Student Development
- Plan and implement an academic breakout session as part of New Student Orientation for a specific academic focus area with the support of an Orientation Leader. Each breakout session is scheduled for approximately 1 hour
1. Faculty introduce themselves and give overview of the academic focus area
2. Orientation leaders talk about their experience and what they wish they had known when they first started
3. Allow students to talk about their intended majors
4. Discussion about common important advising details related to these majors
- Prerequisite courses
- Course sequencing
- Opportunities for independent study or choosing electives
- The importance of considering transfer in course selection and for setting up meeting with transfer coordinator early
- Departmental pages on GCC website
- College Catalog
- Academic Studios and Department offices
- Current GCC employee
- Academic experience in relevant academic focus area
- Inclusion of student development principles in work
- Understand and describe the importance of an early start
- Understand and describe the overview of the English and math requirements for academic pathways
- Understand and describe the general education block transfer and how it works
- Understand and describe the overview of the relevant statewide academic transfer pathways
- Ability to serve in both the Fall and Spring
Applicants who do not meet the qualifications as stated above are encouraged to put in writing precisely how their background and experience have prepared them for the responsibilities of this position.
Interested full-time, non-faculty employees should check with Human Resources prior to applying to make sure that there are no limitations on their ability to perform the duties of this posting given their current full-time contract. This is a temporary, part-time MCCC/MTA Unit Position to be filled on an as needed basis. Incumbents will submit time cards to track hours.
SALARY: $26.40 per hour or current MCCC/MTA part-time hourly rate
START DATE AND DURATION: Six (6) hours in the Fall and six (6) hours in the Spring; work coincides with commencement of fall and spring semesters.
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit your credentials online. Create a Greenfield Community College account by clicking on the APPLY NOW tab below. You will be able to upload the following documents, which are required for consideration:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for 3 professional references
See the FAQs for using our online system. Please contact us if you need assistance applying through this website.
Already have a Greenfield Community College Employment Account? Login to your account to add documents or update your account.
***Greenfield Community College is proud to value diversity in our community of faculty,staff and students and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
***THE COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS ACCREDITED BY THE NEW ENGLAND ASSOCIATION OF SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES.