Director of Research Development
Working Title: Director of Research Development
Position Type: University Managerial and Professional Staff
Department: School of Medicine, Research
Posting Date: 02-08-2017
The School of Medicine (SOM) at the University of Virginia is seeking applicants for the Director of Research Development. The Director will develop new relationships, help grow research opportunities, and build collaboration within and outside UVA, including the formation and facilitation of teams through workshops and other engagement opportunities, support business, and proposal development. The incumbent will also assist with preparation and development of major multi-million dollar proposal efforts, as appropriate.
Additional responsibilities include: developing new relationships on behalf of University of Virginia with federal agencies and private contractors; seeking new ways to engage strategic partners and enhance collaboration and support business development and programmatic support for new research programs and for collaborative programs between schools; facilitating interactions with current and potential corporate partners by acting as a SOM technical research interface; providing summaries of SOM expertise; participating in meetings; engaging faculty in corporate interactions; identifying and evaluating funding opportunities and disseminating to the faculty; and meeting with faculty to develop strategic research plans. The incumbent will fulfill the University's educational mission, strategic aims, and programs with the ability to act as the public face for strategic efforts, if designated by the Vice President.
This position is full-time, with a salary of $150,000-$200,000, based on education and experience. A Master's degree or equivalent is required. A doctoral degree or equivalent is preferred. The successful candidate must have at least five years of experience with research grants and contracts in an academic environment, including grant writing and preparation, and have a working knowledge of Grants.gov and budget experience. The candidate also must have at least two years of experience in higher education and management, and at least two years of experience with grants process and academic research enterprise.
The following also are required: (1) considerable knowledge of resources regarding the research process is a necessity, along with a deep desire to keep abreast of emerging research trends and technologies and to actively participate in on-going dialogue on the impact of research on the economy and society as a whole; (2) proven ability to design, manage, and implement University programs to fulfill state and federal policies and regulations and the ability to conduct activities and make decisions according to ethical standards; (3) a proven track record of translating and synthesizing complex information and the ability to manage data gathering and reporting in order to optimize organizational efficiency; and (4) familiarity with research analytics tools. The successful candidate should have technical expertise in a biosciences field, and experience that should include government, government contracting organizations, industry, federal laboratories, or academia.
The incumbent must have demonstrated ability to foster collaboration across project leaders, institutions, and stakeholders, and to maintain professional relationships. He or she must have superb organization, communication and interpersonal skills in order to drive overall effectiveness of pan-institutional efforts. The ability to work under pressure, managing multiple projects and meeting external, hard deadlines, is also required. A proven track record of building, leading, motivating, and assessing large-scale, diverse teams, including experienced and junior professionals, is preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Technical expertise in a biosciences field, and experience that could include government, government contracting organizations, industry, federal laboratories, or academia.
* Considerable knowledge of resources regarding the research process, with a deep desire to keep abreast of emerging research trends and technologies and to actively participate in on-going dialogue on the impact of research on the economy and society as a whole.
* Proven ability to design, manage, and implement University programs to fulfill state and federal policies and regulations; and to conduct activities and make decisions according to ethical standards.
* Proven track record of translating and synthesizing complex information. Manages data gathering and reporting in order to optimize organizational efficiency.
* Demonstrates ability to foster collaboration across University leaders and stakeholders and to maintain professional relationships.
* Superb organization, communication and interpersonal skills.
* Ability to work under pressure, managing multiple projects and meet external, hard deadlines.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=80074