Posting Number: 0001632
Job Title: Science Librarian
Department: Scribner Library
Position Status: Full-Time
Position Type: Regular
Months per Year: 11 Months
Work Hours: Varied
Start Date (For temporary positions only):
End Date (For temporary positions only):
Position band/level: Faculty
Tenure Track Status:
Job Summary: Skidmore College seeks a creative, collaborative Science Librarian with strong pedagogical grounding to lead efforts to support teaching, learning, and research in the physical and life sciences. The College is particularly interested in candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and candidates who have had experience working with students from underserved populations. Strong candidates will demonstrate awareness of issues relating to diversity and inclusion in the sciences, including the need to make the sciences more accessible to a broader range of students.
Based in the Lucy Scribner Library and reporting to the College Librarian, the Science Librarian holds an 11-month contract and, as a non-tenured faculty member, participates in shared governance at the college.
The sciences at Skidmore face an exciting future with the imminent construction of a state-of-the-art Center for Integrated Sciences. In addition, the College has seen an increase in the number of students majoring in the sciences, an increase in tenure line faculty in the sciences, an increase in the commitment to faculty-student research, and an enduring and strong desire to collaborate across disciplinary lines.
Scope of Duties
- Explore, develop, and implement new methods for supporting teaching, learning, and research in the physical and life sciences
- Stay current on developments in the sciences generally in order to participate as fully as possible in the Skidmore science community
- As primary liaison for physical and life sciences, develop and sustain effective working relationships, fostering collaborations and partnerships with faculty in those departments
- In collaboration with science faculty and library faculty colleagues, develop and implement pedagogically innovative approaches to teaching information literacy in relevant courses
- Develop collections in all formats to support teaching and learning across the physical and life sciences
- In collaboration with others, provide general reference services in person and online, including some evening hours
- Increase the visibility of library resources and services through active and creative outreach
- Demonstrate professional engagement and scholarship required for advancement through library faculty ranks
Open until filled but first consideration begins May 1, 2017.
Minimum Qualifications: ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS, or equivalent education and experience. Minimum 2 years' experience working in an academic library setting. Demonstrated knowledge of scientific research methods and the research life cycle in the natural and biological sciences. Strong commitment to outreach and collaboration. Demonstrated ability to design and deliver educational programming such as classroom instruction, workshops, one-on-one consultations. Highly effective communication and interpersonal skills.
Preferred Qualifications: Undergraduate or advanced degree in a STEM discipline. Working knowledge of scholarly communication and open access, including data management plans. Familiarity with citation management tools. Demonstrated understanding of effective pedagogical approaches in STEM fields. Experience providing general reference service in an academic library setting.
Required Applicant Documents: Cover Letter
List of Three References
Optional Applicant Documents: Teaching Philosophy
Special Instructions to Applicants: Candidates for the position should fill out an online faculty profile and attach the following documents: letter of application, CV, and a list of three references to include name, title, company, email address and telephone number. May also attached an optional teaching philosophy.
This system can support attachments up to 1.9MB. If you encounter difficulty attaching any one of the required documents, please contact Clarissa Sawyer, Employment Coordinator in Human Resources at: firstname.lastname@example.org or 518 580.5802
Posting Date: 04-07-2017
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Quicklink for posting: careers.skidmore.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=58026
Skidmore College is committed to being an inclusive campus community and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, domestic violence victim status, familial status, dating violence, or stalking, or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Employment at Skidmore College is contingent upon an acceptable background check result
CREATIVE THOUGHT MATTERS.