Nature of Work:
The Reference Librarian is responsible for coordinating Ask Us services, managing the HSL Teaching Lab schedules, teaching introductory library classes, providing one-on-one consultations, performing basic literature searches for clients, and supervising library student interns for the Education and Reference Department of the Health Sciences Library (HSL).
The Education and Reference Department exists to assist library patrons in finding health information related to their research, educational or clinical roles and to provide classes and specialized instruction on acquiring, assessing, and organizing information in the health sciences for faculty, staff, and students of University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus.
The Reference Librarian is supervised by the Head of Education and Reference.
This position supervises, hires, and evaluates the work of up to 3 hourly library school students in the position of student worker II.
Health Sciences Library faculty members serve as promotion-eligible, non-tenure track faculty. Initial appointment rank is commensurate with the knowledge, skills and experience level of an applicant. This position will most likely be appointed at the Instructor or Senior Instructor level.
The Reference Librarian is expected to assume personal responsibility for designing and implementing a plan for continuing professional development and to actively contribute to the development of health sciences librarianship through scholarly and service activities.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides research assistance in person at service desk, by phone and electronically via chat and e-mail to students, staff, and faculty
- Conducts reference and information interviews with students, faculty and other library users
- Investigates and recommends resources to library users
- Assists users with locating and using online journals and books
- Assists and instructs clients in the use of reference books, indexes and abstracts, and library computer systems/databases
- Coordinates Reference Service
- Coordinates and supports all aspects of the HSL Ask Us reference service, including maintaining the Ask Us schedule, acting as the main back up, determining the need for referral
- Provides training and guidelines to other public services staff for Ask Us service
- Maintains and reports statistics as needed
- Supports Education Programs & Activities
- Teaches regular library classes as needed
- Schedules regular library classes
- Schedules Library Teaching Labs using EMS software.
- Supports Teaching Labs by ensuring rooms are set up according to policy and procedures.
- Coordinates with Library IT staff to maintain and update Teaching Lab computers and to conduct trials of educational software and technologies
- Updates class handouts as needed.
- Creates and maintains ResourceGuides using the LibGuides software.
- Maintains and reports statistics as needed.
- Serves on committees and task forces within the library as appropriate.
- Masters degree in library or information science from a program accredited by the American Library Association or foreign equivalent. Candidates who will attain their degree by July 2017 will be considered.
- Experience in a health sciences, academic, or life sciences library.
- Demonstrated experience in public services.
- At least one year of library experience.
- Experience providing virtual and face-to-face library reference services.
- Experience supervising student workers.
- Experience working in library service area with appropriate systems, such as LibAnswers, LibGuides, Drupal, and library information databases.
- Experience utilizing an electronic scheduling system such as EMS software to schedule labs, rooms, classes and events. Experience administering trainings to small and large groups of people. Ability to communicate effectively in written form, which includes the ability to check for typographical, grammatical and spelling errors.
- Strong customer service skills and enthusiastic public services orientation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with diverse individuals and as part of a team.
- Knowledge of innovative applications of technology to deliver reference and instructional services Strong searching skills in health sciences and related information resources and tools, especially the ability to search PubMed/Medline and demonstrate an understanding of Medical Subject Headings. Knowledge of biomedical print materials and online information resources and databases. Coursework or experience in reference and adult education, instructional design, or educational technology. Knowledge of social networking, mobile/smart phone and other emerging technologies and their use in libraries. Essential personal characteristics include flexibility, initiative, dependability, creativity, and the ability to work cooperatively in an evolving technological environment. Excellent problem solving skills.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is $42,000-$47,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Submit application by April 30, 2017 deadline.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 09136
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20570 - AVC-OARS Medical Library
Posting Date: Apr 10, 2017
Closing Date: May 10, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Lilian Hoffecker
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00614142