Library Assistant IV (P/T), CP1N14833LRC
Answer directional, ready reference, and assignment-based or career-related research questions, as well as basic computing and software application questions, for patrons in the Library, on the telephone and via email reference service. Assist and instruct patrons (students, faculty, and community members) in the use of the Library website to search catalogs, indexes and databases, and the Web; in finding and retrieving information in the Library's print and electronic resources; and in locating library materials available in the College of DuPage Library and other libraries. Assist and instruct students in paper writing mechanics and style (MLA, APA, etc.) as well as document formatting and layout.
Position Title: Library Assistant IV (P/T), CP1N14833LRC
Duties of Position:
- Answer directional, ready reference, reference, and assignment-based research questions; as well as basic computing and software application questions, for patrons in the Library, on the telephone and via email reference service.
- Assist and instruct patrons (students, faculty, and community members) in using Library computers to search catalogs, indexes and databases, research guides, and the Web. Assist and instruct patrons in printing from Library databases and the Internet. Help students with assignments requiring the use of print and electronic sources.
- Assist and instruct patrons in selecting appropriate resources and tools, creating search strategies, and finding and retrieving information in the Library's print and electronic resources, including special collections such as the Philanthropy Center and the College and Career Information Center.
- Support career exploration instruction offered by faculty librarians and COD counselors and advisors.
- Assist and instruct patrons in searching for and interpreting periodical citations and printing articles from the electronic sources. Help patrons locate periodical titles in the Library and at area libraries, using online catalogs or help place an Interlibrary Loan request.
- Assist and instruct students, in research paper writing mechanics and style (MLA, APA, etc.) as well as document formatting and layout.
- Assist patrons in selecting and accessing appropriate software from the applications programs listed on the Library menu screen. Answer basic questions about the programs and refers patrons to software manuals for in-depth information. Assist in printing documents.
- Support the work of the Reference Librarians in collection development, in maintaining and updating the Reference, Ready Reference materials, and College and Career collections materials, and in keeping Library web pages and handouts accurate and current.
- Monitor and enforce Library Policies and Rules of Behavior.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Experience and Education:
One (1) year library work experience. Public services experience. Proficiency in written and spoken English.
Library Technical Assistant Certificate or equivalent Library Science coursework; two (2) years of college.
Two (2) years' library work experience.
Library Technical Assistant Certificate & Associates Degree.
Equipment & Working Conditions:
Computers - networked Library computers and wireless laptops, laser and color printers; copy card readers; copy card dispensers; black and white and color copy machine; multi-line telephone and a variety of audiovisual equipment for patron use such as Monitor/Players, Slide/Tape Players, and specialized equipment used by the visually impaired.
Busy public service area; must have excellent people skills; must be flexible and willing to adjust to last minute situations. Must be able to spend extended periods of time at a computer keyboard and monitor. Vision adequate to read a variety of print materials and computer screens.
This support staff position is for an average 17.75 hours per week. These are the assigned, regular shifts, when classes are in session:
1 Sunday in rotation of 4-noon-6:15pm
Some shifts affected are:
Summer Semester, when the College is closed on Fridays and Saturdays and Breaks, when classes are not in session, there are no evening hours and the Library is closed on weekends.
Additionally, there is the possibility to substitute for more hours.
Department: Library - LRC
Position Type: Part time - PT
Pay Type: Hourly Non-Exempt