As a living, learning and working community, Susquehanna University affirms its commitment to being an engaged, culturally inclusive campus. As we seek to embody the rich diversity of the human community, we commit ourselves to the full participation of persons who represent the breadth of human difference. The university encourages candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Susquehanna University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Susquehanna University is a national liberal arts college committed to excellence in educating students for productive, creative and reflective lives of achievement, leadership and service in a diverse, dynamic and interdependent world. Its more than 2,200 undergraduates come from 35 states and 22 countries, and all students study away through Susquehanna's unique Global Opportunities program. Susquehanna University's 325 acre campus, noted for its beauty, is located in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, 50 miles north of Harrisburg in the scenic Susquehanna River Valley, about a three hour drive from Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and New York City. For more information, please visit https://www.susqu.edu.
The Financial Accountant is responsible for maintenance of general ledgers, the accurate completion of various reconciliations and financial reports, and the payroll process. The Financial Accountant works closely with Human Resources, Accounts Receivable, and Accounts Payable. This position reports to the Financial Analyst.
• Performs various bank reconciliations, conducts research, and resolves outstanding items.
• Creates and prepares various financial reports; performs reconciliations including research and resolution of outstanding items; prepares journal entries.
• Maintains accurate reconciliation procedures.
• Files the university's sales and use tax submissions.
• Maintains the Nonresident Alien database and ensures compliance.
• Processes payroll, including semi-monthly, bi-weekly, and student.
• Maintains an inventory of minor equipment purchases and tags equipment as appropriate.
• Assists in the preparation of year-end financial statements and work papers.
• Maintains a commitment to service excellence in all interactions on behalf of the university.
As a member of the Susquehanna University community, you are also responsible for:
• Demonstrating a commitment to creating an inclusive culture that embraces differences such as gender, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, social class, marital and parental status, disability, age, religion, gender identity or expression, geography, and national origin.
• Understanding that as a staff member of Susquehanna University, you are considered a Responsible Employee under Title IX, and are expected to fulfill the responsibilities as such.
• Contributing to the overall success of your department and the university by performing other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
Knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles. Proven skills in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook. Excellent oral and written communications skills; ability to write clear, concise letters and emails. Ability to handle confidential information in a professional and ethical manner. Ability to organize and prioritize work assignments. Ability to interpret and analyze data and independently identify and solve problems using sound judgment is essential. Must possess excellent mathematical and computational skills. Must possess initiative to tackle new assignments with attention to continuous improvement. Ability to work as part of a team in a goal-oriented environment with a strong desire to learn new concepts. Must be able to attend professional conferences.
Bachelor's degree in accounting, or business with emphasis in accounting, is required.
Three years of experience is required. Experience in higher education is strongly preferred.
Must be able to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time. Operates a computer, scanner, adding machine, copier, fax machine and printer. The person in this position frequently communicates with staff members across campus; must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations. Position requires the ability to occasionally lift up to 10 pounds. Working conditions are indoor.
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Number of Months: 12 months
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full Time
Work Schedule/Hours per Week: 40 hpw
Posting date: 04/10/2017
Closing date: 05/10/2017
Open Until Filled: No
Posting Number: AH00379
To Apply: https://jobs.susqu.edu/postings/1146