Director of Budget and Business Services
Date: April 10, 2017
Title: Director of Budget and Business Services
Position Number: 788
Hours: 40 hours/52 weeks
Salary: Meet & Confer, Grade 18 - $92,243
Reports to: Vice President for Finance and Administration
Close Date: April 24, 2017
The Director of Budget and Business Services is responsible for the development and implementation of a comprehensive financial planning and budgeting process designed to ensure short and long term financial stability of the College, including protection of assets and human resources. The Director works closely with the Vice President for Finance and Administration as well as the Controller, and serves as a member of the College Cabinet and the Strategic Leadership team. The Director will also collaborate with leaders across the institution, supporting their work with departmental budgets and related financial responsibilities.
Essential Job Functions
- Manage a comprehensive, transparent budget process for the College including annual budget development, periodic budget amendments, and budget forecasting.
- Direct and coordinate Risk Management and insurance activities for the College.
- Oversee visioning activities in regards to budget preparation and financial planning.
- Participate in college leadership as a member of Cabinet and the college Strategic Leadership Team.
- Coordinate with the Controller to provide oversight of all accounting and financial reporting to ensure compliance with applicable laws and alignment with established budgets.
- Support the work of Academic and Executive Leadership by providing clear, concise financial data to aid in decision making processes.
- Communicate budget and financial information to the College and to individual stakeholder groups as appropriate.
- Develop and provide training for the College community around budget and related topics as deemed necessary.
- Complete or support the completion of all budgeting, accounting and financial reporting for the Grand Rapids Community College Foundation.
- Remain current with laws, regulations and general best practices in all areas of responsibility.
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance of policies and procedures dealing with areas of responsibility.
- Develop, monitor and maintain all financial budget and account records for the Plant (or building and site) fund, including long term financial forecasting to support the development of college wide master planning.
- Develop or support the development and posting of all budget and other financial documents required to be posted on the state mandated transparency webpage.
- Participate in the preparation for annual outside audits.
- Originate College's Management Discussion and Analysis report.
- Oversee and direct College investments and cash flow management.
- Manage all debt service accounting, budgeting, forecasting and related responsibilities.
- Develop or support the development of budgets for all campus auxiliary activities (parking, food services, bookstore and printing services), complete periodic budget amendments, maintain long term financial projections and provide financial guidance and support to leaders responsible for programmatic oversight of the funds.
- Develop or support the development of budgets for all designated funds, complete periodic budget amendments and provide financial guidance and support to academic leaders responsible for programs recorded with the funds.
- Develop and disseminate appropriate financial communications to staff, budget control officers and students.
- Coordinate with the Controller to provide support for design and maintenance of the Campus Wide Information System.
- Lead cross college budget related initiatives and committees as applicable.
- Supervise and provide oversight and direction for two specific employees and coordinate with the Controller to provide support and guidance as appropriate for all staff within the Financial Services department.
- Regular attendance during normal scheduled hours is required. Being present is essential for serving customers and performing the essential functions of this position.
- Other duties as assigned by Vice President for Finance and Administration.
- Bachelor’s degree in an accounting or financial field required.
- Master's degree or CPA license preferred.
- Specific training related to insurance and risk management required.
- A minimum of five years of experience in budget and accounting leadership role required, with preference given to experience in an educational entity.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business articles, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Demonstrative initiative and strong organizational and problem solving abilities.
- Proficient in a Windows environment and a working knowledge of the Campus Wide Information System.
- Demonstrated ability with accounting, database, Internet, spreadsheet, and word processing software programs.
- Successful experience working with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated ability to research, analyze, create and improve process in systems.
- Prior supervision and management experience required.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Proven group facilitation and presentation skills with ability to project a positive professional image.
- Participation in community events/organization.
- Commitment to the Community College mission.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to work independently and prioritize work.
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment.
Method of Application
Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. The posting will remain open until April 24, 2017 at 11:59 PM at https://www.grcc.edu/jobs Please include your resume and cover letter in one document. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities,services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics.The College will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation.