Alumni Projects and Event Coordinator
About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
The Alumni Projects and Events Coordinator serves as part of a team of professionals in the University Relations Department. At Maritime College, University Relations oversees the areas of Development, Communications, External Relations, Government Relations, Conference Services, and Community Programs. The Alumni Projects and Events Coordinator primary responsibility is to work with various College departments to plan events and administer scholarships.
- Oversee the planning and carrying out of alumni and other university relations events
- Develop detailed project plans for each event in collaboration with the department
- Find interesting venues and negotiate contracts in consultation with the Vice President of University Relations
- Manage all internal and external event logistics, including but not limited to Homecoming, Admiral's Dinner, Industry Panels, and Trade Shows
- Coordinate all pre-event logistics including development of event invitations and other printed materials
- Work directly with alumni and industry partners to plan events
- Work directly with food service provider to develop menu and arrange for staffing
- Work directly with conference services and facilities to ensure all event needs are met
- Manage timelines; ensure milestones are met on time/budget by all team members
- Ensure that all aspects of each event reflect the SUNY Maritime College brand
- Oversee event logistics at the time of the event to ensure successful outcome
- Develop the event concept in collaboration with sponsoring department
- Solicit and manage third-party vendors as needed
- Maintain, track, and communicate budgets for all events
- Oversee invoicing and accounts payable processes
- Set up and monitor on-line event registration and payment within Raisers Edge
- Data base management for event invitation list creation and distribution
- Perform all necessary follow-up activities after the event has ended
- Work with Director of Annual Giving to implement strategies for marketing and promoting alumni activities, programs and services to encourage alumni involvement and participation
- Assist with day-to-day activities of the Office of Alumni Relations including managing alumni correspondence and walk-ins
- Assist with Identifying alumni prospects and communicating them to the Development team
- Assist all aspects of alumni events planning, including establishing program goals, managing budgets and communicating with various individuals and entities, both within the College and external organizations
- Assist with developing opportunities for alumni engagement such as volunteer initiatives, career days, alumni student events and reunions
- Work to build relationships between the Office of Alumni relations and a wide range of alumni, locally, regionally, nationally and internationally. In collaboration with public relations staff, maintain regular communication with alumni via direct contact, email blasts, alumni web pages, and print publications that include the alumni magazine ("The Navigator"), e-newsletters as well as the management of relevant content on social networking platforms such as Facebook and Linked-in
- Work with Director of Annual Giving to partner with other campus departments such as Admissions, Career Services and Cadet Shipping
- Work directly with Director of Annual Giving to staff the campus-wide cross-functional Scholarship Committee and assist with all scholarship administrative work.
- Work with database manager to update alumni information and create queries
- Work on other projects as necessary
- Bachelor Degree required
- Professional event planning experience
- Must possess proficient knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook and the demonstrated ability to quickly learn other software programs that the department utilizes such as Banner and Raiser's Edge.
- A successful candidate will have enthusiasm, creativity, and organization skills as well as a sense of direction and follow through.
- Must interact well with all levels of the College's organization including the executive administration.
- Strong written and verbal communication with attention to detail is required.
- The ability to work with people from different backgrounds is essential.
- 2-3 years of responsible work experience
- Experience with Raiser's Edge Software
- Knowledge of alumni relations, event planning, and marketing, as well as experience working with alumni, students, faculty and staff is desired.
The Alumni Projects and Event Coordinator is a United University Professions position. The anticipated salary range for the position $40,000 - $50,000 annually, with an outstanding benefits package. Salary will commensurate with experience. Review of applications will commence immediately and conclude when position is filled.
Special Notes: This is a full time calendar year appointment UUP position. Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA.
Internal and external posting to occur simultaneously
Budget Title: Staff Assistant (SL2)
Local Title: Alumni Projects and Event Coordinator
Line #: 00164
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For our full non-discrimination statement, see: http://www.sunymaritime.edu/page/affirmative-action
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
Application Instructions: Persons interested in the above position should apply online.
- Cover letter including salary requirements
- Contact information for three professional references.
Returning Applicants - Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.