Admission Counselor/ Assistant Director of Admission
Admission Counselors / Assistant Directors review applications and determine whether an applicant is academically prepared to succeed at DU (based on assessment of the students curriculum, grades, test scores, essay, recommendations, activities, etc.). Along with the entire Enrollment Division, Admission Counselors / Assistant Directors share responsibility to attract excellent students by being sensitive to, and have an understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds of students and University personnel. Within our admission counseling staff we have a strong career promotion structure: Admission Counselors are considered for promotion to Assistant Director after two to three years of service, Assistant Directors are considered for promotion to Associate Directors after an additional two to three years of service.
We currently have two positions available and will hire at the Admission Counselor or Assistant Director level, depending on candidate experience. See required and preferred qualifications for each level below. In addition to the general duties listed above, Admission Counselors / Assistant Directors typically serve on a specific committee or team within our office: Visit, Diversity and College Access, Transfer or Communication. The Visit Team plans and implements programs for a variety of visitors (prospective students, high school counselors, community based organizations, etc.) on the University as a whole and about the college application process. The College Access and Diversity team leads inclusive community outreach, college access and scholarship foundation partnerships, targeted group visits and diversity yield initiatives for traditionally underrepresented and first-generation populations to DU. The College Access and Diversity team engages with the other admission teams to ensure inclusion and diversity is embedded within all aspects of admission operations. The Transfer team works specifically to cultivate relationships with the transfer population, host special visit days and works closely with local community colleges. The Communication team supports the mission and goals of the enrollment division by ensuring consistent and relevant messaging to empower, educate and excite prospective and current members of the DU community through creative and innovative strategies. The Communication team is responsible for creating and/or reviewing all communication touchpoints across a variety of platforms (website, social media, video, print, electronic, digital marketing, text messages, etc.) and works collaboratively to envision and execute campaigns in all these areas. For these two positions we are seeking candidates who will be a good fit for either the Communication team or the College Access and Diversity team.
- Have extensive knowledge of, and remain current on the University of Denver regarding academic and degree programs, clubs and organizations, extracurricular programs and other key characteristics of a DU education.
- Serve our key constituents with exceptional quality service and embrace the values of inclusive excellence.
- Evaluate the best course of action regarding individual territories and recruitment plans (what to do, where to recruit, methods to be used, etc.).
- Evaluate and recruit high caliber and academically qualified students within an assigned territory.
- Consistent contact with constituents throughout the process, including students, parents, guidance counselors and community based organizations.
- Read applications from students who have applied from their assigned territories.
- Be a student's advocate during admission committee meetings by being prepared to talk about students overall match for DU.
- Additional responsibilities are dependent upon the respective team: visit, diversity and college access, or communication.
- Counselors are expected to serve as professional, enthusiastic ambassadors for DU.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Valid driver's license.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Two to three years of work related to admission, recruiting, college access, student advising, sales or marketing, ideally in a higher education setting.
- Valid driver's license.
- One to two years of work related to admission, recruiting, college access, advising, sales or marketing, ideally in a higher education setting.
- Experience in content creation across a variety of platforms, video production and strategic communication planning desired.
- Experience and success working with traditionally underrepresented populations through the college access and/or admission process is desired.
- Proficiency or fluency in a second language is desired.
- Familiarity with the University of Denver is a plus.
- Experience in content creation across a variety of platforms, video production and strategic communication planning.
- Experience and success working with traditionally underrepresented populations through the college access and/or admission process.
- Proficiency or fluency in a second language.
- Familiarity with the University of Denver.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.