IT Senior Associate, Level 3 (Provisional) / Lead Systems Administrator
I.T. Senior Associates perform highly complex professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Senior Associates perform a range of work in development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar functions depending on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include diagnosing, evaluating, overseeing and resolving highly complex projects. They have wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment and may serve in lead roles on complex programs or projects, and/or serve as a direct supervisor of a unit or group.
I.T. Senior Associates should demonstrate mastery of one or more technology-related disciplines, decision-making ability in situations related to those disciplines, and be able to serve as a resource in these areas. They may contribute to decisions on I.T. policies and technical standards.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
IT Senior Associate
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Graduate Center (GC) is the principal doctorate-granting institution of the City University of New York (CUNY). Offering more than thirty doctoral degrees from Anthropology to Urban Education, and fostering globally significant research in a wide variety of centers and institutes, the GC provides academic training in the humanities, sciences, and social sciences. The Graduate Center is also integral to the intellectual and cultural vitality of New York City. Through its extensive public programs, The Graduate Center hosts a wide range of events - lectures, conferences, book discussions, art exhibits, concerts, and dance and theater that enrich and inform.
Information Technology (IT) is the division of The Graduate Center responsible for voice, video, and data systems and services. The mission of this unit is to promote, facilitate, and support the effective use of technology in the learning process, in instruction and research, and in processing and accessing institutional information.
Reporting directly to the Assistant Director for Systems Services, the Lead Systems Administrator is responsible for the infrastructure that supports the administrative and academic activities of The Graduate Center. The Administrator will participate in the deployment of new systems and services, and be responsible with other team members for the support of existing systems.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Configure and manage a VMware virtual environment;
- Configure and manage Windows physical and virtual servers;
- Configure and manage IIS, Apache, and other web servers;
- Configure and manage server configuration, management and monitoring systems;
- Work closely with the Application Development and Web Services teams to support a variety of databases and web-based services;
- Research new technologies and standards, and make recommendations for upgrades and new systems;
- Disseminate knowledge and cross-train other team members; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- An equivalent of ten years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: ten years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate's degree plus eight years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus six years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
- Demonstrated English Language proficiency
- A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
We are seeking a well-rounded systems administrator with the ability to think through complex problems in a large, multi-platform environment. Candidates should possess strong technical, analytical, trouble-shooting and communications skills and be able to work independently and as part of a team.
A preferred candidate should have:
- Extensive experience (5+ years) administering a Windows Server 2008 and/or 2012 Active directory environment, including some experience with PowerShell for system administration.
- Extensive experience (5+ years) administering a VMware or other virtual environment.
- Experience with enterprise-class server management, event management, log management, and monitoring tools.
- Experience with server backup, disaster recovery, and business continuity.
- Experience with iSCSI SANs.
- Some Linux systems administration experience in a cross-platform environment.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on "Apply Now" below which will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply. Make sure to upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references (name, title, and organization) by the closing date. Please upload all documents in Word or PDF format.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin on April 14, 2017
(Previously posted as Job ID 15851, previous applicants need not apply).
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Graduate Center
Job Title: IT Senior Associate, Level 3 (Provisional) / Lead Systems Administrator
Job ID: 16602