IT Senior Associate, Level 3 (Provisional) / Senior Front End Web Developer
I.T. Senior Associates perform highly complex professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Senior Associates perform a range of work in development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar functions depending on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include diagnosing, evaluating, overseeing and resolving highly complex projects. They have wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment and may serve in lead roles on complex programs or projects, and/or serve as a direct supervisor of a unit or group.
I.T. Senior Associates should demonstrate mastery of one or more technology-related disciplines, decision-making ability in situations related to those disciplines, and be able to serve as a resource in these areas. They may contribute to decisions on I.T. policies and technical standards.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
IT Senior Associate
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The Graduate Center (GC) is the principal doctorate-granting institution of the City University of New York (CUNY). Offering more than thirty doctoral degrees from Anthropology to Urban Education, and fostering globally significant research in a wide variety of centers and institutes, the GC provides academic training in the humanities, sciences, and social sciences.The Graduate Center is also integral to the intellectual and cultural vitality of New York City. Through its extensive public programs, The Graduate Center hosts a wide range of events - lectures, conferences, book discussions, art exhibits, concerts, and dance and theater that enrich and inform.
Information Technology (IT) is the division of the Graduate Center responsible for voice, video, and data systems and services. The mission of this unit is to promote, facilitate, and support the effective use of technology in the learning process, in instruction and research, and in processing and accessing institutional information.
Reporting to the Assistant Director of System Services/Computer Systems Manager, the Senior Front End Web Developer leads and oversees the development of responsive, accessible and optimized websites utilizing current tools, technologies and methods, reflecting best practices for web design, focused on the translation and implementation of UI/UX designs into actual code. This position is also responsible for setting standards and guidelines at an organizational level. The Senior Front End Web Developer works closely with colleagues across IT as well as in Communications and Marketing in maintaining, enhancing and developing user-facing features and functionality.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Lead and oversee the development of highly responsive websites utilizing current methods of responsive web design, including technologies such as HTML5, CSS3, and Bootstrap, both in the context of content management systems such as Kentico and Wordpress, as well as standalone environments;
- Provide expert advice and take a leadership role in projects involving the implementation of new web design initiatives;
- Provide and promote recommendations on front-end optimization and performance techniques to improve efficiency; lead efforts to implement such recommendations;
- Ensure that all user interface (UI) designs and implementations conform to Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act and all applicable ADA regulations, and reflect current best practices for accessibility;
- Build reusable code and libraries for recurring use; ensure that such resources are well documented;
- Verify the technical feasibility of UI/UX designs and provide expert feedback to the web project team on specifications and design recommendations;
- Partner with colleagues in Communications & Marketing and other GC departments in the development and maintenance of new user-facing features;
- Collaborate with IT colleagues to implement advancements with regard to the GC website; serve as a key member of various project teams;
- Stay current with emerging Internet technologies and trends; remain fluent in the use of modern tools and familiar with best practices; engage in professional development activities;
- Responsible for identifying, promoting and setting standards and guidelines related to the area of expertise at an organizational level
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- An equivalent of ten years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: ten years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate's degree plus eight years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus six years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
- Demonstrated English Language proficiency
- A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
A preferred candidate should have:
- Strong proficiency in progressive enhancement and responsive web design.
- Proficiency in web markup, including HTML5, CSS3; familiarity with SASS is a plus.
- Proficiency in asynchronous request handling, partial page updates; and Ajax.
- Proven ability to translate functional requirements, mockups and wireframes into a deliverable front-end interface.
- Skilled at cross-browser and cross-device compatibility issues and solutions.
- Strong proficiency in implementing Section 508 and ADA compliancy standards, as well as related accessibility considerations.
- Experience in navigating image and video editing tools specifically optimized for the web.
- Experience working with Wordpress, Drupal and/or Kentico; custom theming is a plus.
- Experience working with code versioning tools, such as GIT.
- Proficiency in SEO principles and their application.
- Experience leading large, complex projects
- Familiarity with OOP using either PHP, C# or equivalent.
- Strong communication skills to translate needs of clients to executable designs.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on "Apply Now" below which will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply. Make sure to upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three (3) professional references (name, title, and organization) by the closing date. Please upload documents in Word or PDF format.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin on June 23, 2016
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Graduate Center
Job Title: IT Senior Associate, Level 3 (Provisional) / Senior Front End Web Developer
Job ID: 15067