Extension Educator, Extension Educator - Field Crops - Lenawee
Michigan State University has been working to advance the common good with uncommon will for more than 150 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU focuses its vast resources and collaborative power on creating solutions to some of the world’s most pressing challenges, while providing life-changing opportunities to a vibrant and diverse community of students and scholars, athletes and artists, scientists and leaders.
Posting Number: 4579
Internal Posting Date: 12-08-2016
Internal Closing Date: 04-20-2017
External Closing Date: 04-20-2017
Review of Applications begins on:
Job Title: Extension Educator
Multiple Position Numbers:
Multiple Position Numbers:
Major Administrative Unit/College: Michigan State University Extension
Primary Department: 10058940 EXTENSION AGRICULTURE AND AGRIBUSINESS
Position Employee Group: Fixed Term Academic Staff-FAS
Appointment Basis: Annual Year, 12 months
Appointment Status: Fixed Term Academic Staff
Employment %: 100
Varied Work Hours (if applicable):
Limited Term/Flexible Appointment/Off-Date Information:
Faculty: Salary Range Support Staff: Pay Minimum
If flex, dates of annual flex leave:
Pay Grade Level:
Position Summary: As part of Michigan State University Extension (MSUE) and the Agriculture and Agribusiness Institute, this position will provide local as well as statewide leadership and educational programming expertise in field crop production. Located in Adrian, Michigan (Lenawee County), this position will have both local and state-wide focus, will collaborate across work teams, Institutes and community groups, and work with faculty, specialists and educators for overall advancement of Michigan agricultural industries. Southeast Michigan is major field crops production region with over 340,000 acres each of corn and soybean production within Lenawee and adjoining counties. The successful applicant will design, implement and evaluate educational programming, that is research based, will address the needs of clientele groups; ensure dissemination of research-based information through various methods including multi-media, personal education and written articles; provide growers and agri-business professionals with the knowledge to profitably produce agricultural products, contributing to the short and long-term viability of farms, and the economic well-being of Michigan citizens; and serve as an informational resource for Extension personnel and clientele.
* Develop, conduct and evaluate innovative educational programs that meet current and projected needs;
* Communicate and interact with community groups to evaluate the needs of the clientele;
* Serve as an information resource to clientele, partners and Extension staff;
* Collaborate with MSU Extension staff to conduct and evaluate programming efforts;
* In concert with the MSUE work team(s), work with federal, state and county agencies to complete needs assessment of the community and develop effective programming;
* Create and promote positive public relations for MSU Extension and the Agriculture and AgriBusiness Institute;
* Author, produce and submit regular research-based educational articles;
* Develop and utilize appropriate media methods to communicate current and timely information, research results, and relevant industry updates, as well as a schedule of current and future activities;
* Actively participate in professional development opportunities;
* Gather and report programming outputs and impacts, to demonstrate program effectiveness and to guide future program priorities for MSUE, the Agriculture and Agribusiness Institute and the work group aligned with;
* Work to ensure that community needs assessments, program development and recruitment efforts include the engagement of Michigan's diverse residents across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences;
* Understand and implement Civil Rights policies and procedures.
Faculty: Minimum Qualifications Support Staff: Minimum Requirements * Master's degree from an accredited institution in a field of study related to crops science, horticulture, soil science, entomology or plant pathology preferred; Candidates with a Bachelor's degree in field of study related to crops science, horticulture, soil science, entomology or plant pathology and associated experience considered with expectation that the selected candidate will complete a Master's degree within a specified time frame as discussed with hiring manager prior to employment;
* Experience in Extension program delivery or demonstrated ability and skill in educational program planning, implementation and evaluation (relevant experience acquired within the last 5-years preferred);
* Ability to create and carry-out a project plan from research of initial concept to project completion and follow-up;
* Experience with marketing/promotion of educational programs;
* Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills;
* Experience and proven ability working productively with a team;
* Proficiency in use of technology (e.g. web research, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook for mail/calendaring, distance technology, etc.) for day-to-day work and educational program delivery, record keeping, reporting, team-based communications and overall management;
* Demonstrated success in program development and delivery to diverse audiences/communities including but not limited to race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences;
* Proven ability in establishing and working with a diverse network of constituents and community members across race, gender, socioeconomic class, disabilities and other differences to assist with program development and outreach;
* Understanding of and ability to implement Civil Rights principles and compliance standards;
* Ability to regularly travel within the assigned area and surrounding communities, as well as occasional statewide travel in order to perform duties of this position;
* Ability to lift and carry 25lbs. as a regular part of this position.
Typing Requirements (wpm):
Desired Qualifications: * Understanding of and/or experience working with the field crop industry.
* Experience in designing, establishing and analyzing field research projects conducted with grower cooperators.
* Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) certification.
Summary of Health Risks and Physical Demands (if applicable):
Required Applicant Documents: Resume/CV
Optional Applicant Documents: Other Document
Other Document 2
Other Document 3
Number of Reference Letters Required: No letters required
Special Instructions to Applicants: Applicants should include the names and contact information (including email addresses) of four professional references with the cover letter.
This position is a full-time, end-dated appointment renewable annually.
For full consideration applicant materials must be submitted by January 17, 2017.
Department Website Address: www.msue.msu.edu
Name/Title/Email Address of Search Committee Chair:
If flex, dates of annual flex leave:
If flexible appointment, indicate end date of annual flex leave:
If flex, number of months worked per year:
Web Address for Posting: jobs.msu.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=69524
MSU is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. MSU is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities.