Director of Libraries
Nestled in a beautiful valley in the Southern Tier of New York, Alfred State has a long tradition of drawing the best faculty and staff from every field. This College of Technology offers outstanding opportunities in more than 70 majors, where project-based learning, sustainability, and civic engagement are cornerstones of the curricula. When students work on real-world problems, they learn how to think, not what to think, and they learn how to be involved in their community. That is why Alfred State graduates have a 99 percent employment and transfer rate.
Our faculty is dedicated to teaching and the academic success of our students. Alfred State seeks educators who are student-centered and engage in the life of the College. Our tenure process emphasizes teaching and university service with a more flexible approach to scholarship and professional growth. For faculty interested in research, the college maintains a teacher-scholar program to support research including applied research that complements our emphasis in experiential learning, civic engagement and sustainability.
Location: Alfred, NY
Posted: Dec 07, '16
Alfred State is seeking a Director of Libraries who will provide long-term planning, effective stewardship, and day to-day management of the Hinkle Library on the Alfred Campus and of the School of Applied Technology library on the Wellsville campus. The Director, who reports to the Provost, oversees the work of librarians and support staff, and is responsible for the vision and direction of library operations in alignment with the college's mission, goals and initiatives. S/he will be the key point of contact with the SUNY Council of Library Directors and the SUNY Office of Library Services to implement and support SUNY-wide library collaboration and services.
The successful candidate will be a strong leader, a collaborative manager, a forward thinking planner, and a relationship builder. This leader will value collegiality and will foster an inclusive, participatory team environment that results in consensus-driven decision making. Serving a SUNY College of Technology, the director will be expected to anticipate and meet 21st century library challenges including integrating appropriate emerging technologies and open source resources. At the same time, we seek a leader who is dedicated to both print and digital resources.
- Provides strategic vision and leadership working effectively with faculty and staff across campuses as an advocate for the library.
- Is responsible for all aspects of library administration including long term planning, budget development and control, personnel selection, facilities management, and ongoing assessment of library resources and services.
- Fosters an organizational culture of collegiality and service within the library and on campus. Serves on campus committees and acts as the liaison to senior administrators.
- Provides direction for the integration of appropriate and emerging technologies into the services and operation of the library, including forward thinking collection development and high-impact library initiatives to enhance student learning and to expand access to off-campus users.
- Supervises and supports librarians, instructional support assistants and clerical workers, providing opportunities for training and professional growth, as well as providing evaluation and feedback in the context of college policy and union contracts.
- Maintains and strengthens collaborative efforts with both SUNY and private regional colleges.
- Serves on the Academic Affairs Collaboration Team (AACT).
- Collaborates with the Director of Technology Services, the Director of Online Learning, as well as with deans and chairs, to meet student needs.
- Works closely with the Student Success Center to optimize the library as a resource for academic achievement.
- Collaborates with the Office of Institutional Advancement as needed to garner more resources for the libraries and the college.
- Participates as a hands-on librarian in the day-to-day operations of the library, including direct service to students, faculty, staff and community.
- Engages in additional work as needed to best serve the college.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master's or higher degree in Librarianship/Information Sciences from an accredited ALA program. Doctorate or second Masters preferred.
- Three years administrative experience preferred in an academic library.
- Working knowledge and experience with current and emerging technologies to provide and enhance library services in a changing academic library environment.
- Supervisory and budget management experience.
- Strong work ethic with demonstrated collaborative skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, oral, and written communication skills.
- Active involvement with library and related organizations.
Pursuant to University policy, Alfred State College is committed to ensuring equal employment, education opportunity, and equal access to services, programs, and activities without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, gender characteristics, marital status, veteran status, military status, domestic violence victim status, or ex-offender status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law or treated adversely based upon a protected characteristic.
All applicants are subject to a criminal, employment, and educational background check.
Applicants interested in positions may access the Annual Security and Fire Safety Report for the College at http://www.alfredstate.edu/student-services/annual-security-and-fire-safety-report. Crime statistics are reported in accordance with the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act. Applicants may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the SUNY Alfred State College University Police Department at 607-587-3999.
Preference will be given to applications submitted by February 1, 2017. All applicants must upload a cover letter and resume.