IT Assistant, Level 1 (Provisional) - Desktop Support Technician (Instructional Computing & Informa
I.T. Assistants perform entry-level professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Assistants work in areas such as development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar based on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include resolving minor technology problems, monitoring activities, and maintaining documentation. They have latitude for independent initiative and judgment, under supervision.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
As part of a team dedicated to providing superior customer service and support, and under supervision, with latitude for independent initiative and judgment, the IT Assistant will provide a broad range of user support services to IT service users at Hunter College. The IT Assistant may serve in the areas of any one or multiple areas of IT, including: Help Desk and Training, IT Project Management, IT Communications, Network Support,
Infrastructure Support, Desktop Support Services, Telecommunications, Application Support, Account Management.
The IT Assistant will serve in one or more of the following roles:
- Install, upgrade, support and troubleshoot XP, Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2007 and any other authorized desktop applications
- Install, upgrade, support and troubleshoot for printers, computer hardware and any other authorized peripheral equipment
- Performs general preventative maintenance tasks on computers, laptops, printers and any other authorized peripheral equipment
- Performs remedial repairs on computers, laptops, printers and any other authorized peripheral equipment
- Customize desktop hardware to meet user specifications and site standards
- Performs work in compliance within specified warranty requirements
- Returns defective equipment/parts to maintenance inventory, documents customer
repairs, maintains and restocks assigned parts inventory to insure proper spare parts
- Safely package equipment for branches and arrange for the transport of the
- Responsible for monitoring, operating, managing, troubleshooting and restoring to service any terminal service client, personal computers (PC) or notebooks that has authorized access to the network
- When the restoration is beyond the scope of the computers, laptops, printers and any other authorized peripheral equipment the Desktop Support Administrator will escalate the issue/problem to proper tier 3 support team member
- Develop trends by monitoring and analyzing incoming calls, problems and support requests
- Desktop support assistance providing end-user support as needed with application installations, printing, and other need
- Providing data and other input for the College and/or University-wide development and support initiatives, including annual inventory, security assessments, and construction and installation of equipment.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- A minimum of six months of full-time experience in a computer or technology-related position. Experience that is more than 20 hours per week and less than 35 hours per week may be counted at 50% of the requirement (i.e., two months of part time experience equal to one month full time experience)
- Additional experience and/or education that can be met by ONE of the following: An additional three years and six months of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; an Associate's degree plus 18 months of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Demonstrated English Language proficiency
- A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
Preferred qualifications include;
- Ability to learn and support new services
- Knowledge of Hunter and/or CUNY supported services
- Ability to develop a variety of approaches for problem solving
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal skills for service delivery
New Hire: $45,464*
This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the application instructions. Please have your curriculum vitae/ resume and scholarly interest or cover letter with names and contact information of 3 references available to attach into the application before you begin. Please note that the required material must be uploaded as ONE document. The document must be in .doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format- and name of file should not exceed ten (10) characters. Incomplete application packages will not be considered.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin February 6, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Hunter College
Job Title: IT Assistant, Level 1 (Provisional) - Desktop Support Technician (Instructional Computing & Information Technology)
Job ID: 16237
Full/Part Time: Full-Time