IT Associate, Level 1 (Provisional) - Information Systems
I.T. Associates perform moderately complex professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Associates work in areas such as development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar functions depending on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include resolving complex technology problems and serving as a technical resource. They have considerable latitude for independent initiative and judgment and may have supervisory responsibilities.
I.T. Associates should demonstrate mastery of one or more technology-related disciplines.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle Dare To Do More reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
LaGuardia Community College is seeking a SQL Server SharePoint IT Associate in the Information Systems Department. This is an IT Associate, Level 1 position that reports to the Sharepoint Architect in the Information Technology Division. The successful candidate is charged with the following responsibilities:
- Design, develop and support custom-built database structures and applications within a Microsoft Office 2010/2013 environment that support these databases.
- Participate in requirements analysis, project planning, and developing of solutions for all tiers of the application including, but not limited to, the user interface, middle-tier business components, and database layer.
- Resolve complex problems in areas of expertise and provide support for ticketing systems as well as PC inventory systems.
- Document information and design for new applications, enhancements, and bug fixes.
- Mentor others in areas of expertise.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- An equivalent of seven years of experience post-high school that can be met by one of the following: seven years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology related position; an Associate's degree plus five years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution plus three years of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position
- Demonstrated English Language proficiency
- A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This job has three levels. To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
- Database-driven application experience (SharePoint/.NET, C#, and or VB.NET)
- Experience with architecture and design of database structures and processes in MS-SQL
- Experience with implementing and customizing of SharePoint-based solutions and workflows
- Knowledge of SYSAID ticketing system
- Ability to write technical documents
- Knowledge of security standards and techniques
- Understanding of browser-based compatibility issues
- Expertise in the design, implementation, and deployment of user-centric software, with a focus on usability
- Excellent communication skills and experience working with senior stakeholders
- Hands on knowledge of MS SQL Server 2009/2012, SharePoint 2010/2013 and SQL Reporting Services (BI)
- Experience with various scripting languages
- Design and development of workflows and InfoPath 2013 web forms
- Relational database administration and scripting MS SQL
- Experience with Web Services (WCF)
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be submitted on-line as follows:
- Log in to CUNY Portal at www.cuny.edu
- Navigate to Careers at CUNY located on the left sidebar
- Search by Job Opening ID number
- Click on the Apply Now button
Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should click on the appropriate link to register. Please attach a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three professional references as one document in rtf, doc or pdf format.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: LaGuardia Community College
Job Title: IT Associate, Level 1 (Provisional) - Information Systems
Job ID: 16509
Full/Part Time: Full-Time