IT Assistant, Level 1 (Provisional)
I.T. Assistants perform entry-level professional work in technology-related disciplines. While areas of specialization vary, typically I.T. Assistants work in areas such as development/programming, communications, technical support, or similar based on the needs of the Information Technology area to which they report. Work tasks include resolving minor technology problems, monitoring activities, and maintaining documentation. They have latitude for independent initiative and judgment, under supervision.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Medgar Evers College (MEC), a nationally recognized leader in urban-serving education, is one of twenty three colleges within the dynamic City University New York (CUNY) System. Named for the late civil rights leader, Medgar Wiley Evers (1925-1963), the College's mission is to develop and maintain high quality, professional, career-oriented undergraduate degree programs in the context of liberal education.
Located in Central Brooklyn, MEC was established in 1970 with a mandate to meet the educational and social needs of the Central Brooklyn community, currently enrolling 7,000 students in degree programs. Students represent 105 countries around the world! MEC students obtain Associate degrees in 8 fields, and Baccalaureate degrees in 18 fields. They are instructed by over 208 Full-time dedicated faculty members who must maintain a portfolio of scholarship and research. To meet the needs of its students, the College offers courses and programs at various times, is growing their online program offerings, and in offsite locations. The College is committed to a student-centered education and advancing knowledge through scholarly research.
Reporting to the Technical Support Services Manager, the IT Assistant, Level 1 will support Windows and Apple technologies and perform the following duties:
- Respond to questions from telephone, email, and walk-ins, by troubleshooting and determining course of action to resolve, resolve the issue within the service level agreement time frame, or escalate the problem to the appropriate responder.
- Remotely assist users with technology problems that include but are not limited to LAN/email accounts, printing, file access, IT supported applications, and passwords.
- Follow IT standards and best practice to support help-desk procedures; accurately log all issues and problems using our KACE ticketing system. Close tickets with detailed resolution information.
- Monitor email and tracking software for service requests for such items as new staff setup, VPN access, network printer setup, presentations, among others things.
- Monitor and collect information for planned production maintenance, and communicating with senior staff for approval.
- Repair computer hardware and software issues and follow up with customers to ensure issue has been resolved to their satisfaction.
- Install software and computer peripherals for customers and train customers in its use.
- Run diagnostic programs to resolve problems. (i.e., virus and malware scans)
- Become familiar and maintain proficiency with MEC policies, services, and staff to provide continued excellent customer service.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- A minimum of six months of full-time experience in a computer or technology-related position. Experience that is more than 20 hours per week and less than 35 hours per week may be counted at 50% of the requirement (i.e., two months of part time experience equal to one month full time experience)
- Additional experience and/or education that can be met by ONE of the following: An additional three years and six months of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; an Associate's degree plus 18 months of full-time work experience in a computer or technology-related position; or a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Demonstrated English Language proficiency
- A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
This title has three levels. To qualify for Levels 2 and 3, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
- Microsoft and Apple Certifications or equivalent work experience is a plus.
- Problem-solving and Critical Thinking.
- Interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to handle constantly changing flow of traffic and multitask.
- Exercise patience and professionalism at all times.
- Technicians must be able to work with tight timelines, and be able to communicate effectively under pressure from customers with heavy workloads during peak demand periods.
- Basic knowledge of problem tracking software, Microsoft Office suite, and PC and MAC OS.
- Knowledge of Linux operating system is a plus.
New Hire: $45,464
This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications should be submitted on-line as follows:
- Log in to CUNY Portal at www.cuny.edu
- Click on "Employment" and scroll down to "Search for Jobs."
- Click on "Search Job Listings" and select job category "Information Technology/Technical."
- Search by Job Opening ID number: 16191
Current users of the site should access their established accounts; new users should click the appropriate link to register. Applicants must upload one document which includes cover letter and resume.
Open until filled, with resume review to begin on February 15, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Medgar Evers College
Job Title: IT Assistant, Level 1 (Provisional)
Job ID: 16191
Full/Part Time: Full-Time