IT Support Assistant - Instructional Services
I.T. Support Assistants support routine operations and problem resolution of computing and/or communications functions at a College or Unit. They work in technical support, applications development, operations, help desk, and similar environments, as well as in the field where equipment may be located.
Work tasks include as:
- Operating, transporting, adjusting, and installing/configuring computing and related equipment
- Communicating with technology users and staff to understand, identify, document and resolve problems
- Performing simple repairs to computing and related equipment.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Civil Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
IT Support Assistant
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
LaGuardia Community College, located in Long Island City, Queens, educates more than 50,000 New Yorkers annually through degree, certificate, and continuing education programs. Our guiding principle Dare To Do More reflects our belief in the transformative power of education—not just for individuals, but for our community and our country—creating pathways for achievement and safeguarding the middle class. LaGuardia is a national voice on behalf of community colleges, where half of all US college students study. Part of the City University of New York (CUNY), the College reflects the legacy of our namesake, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, the former NYC mayor beloved for his championing the underserved. Since our doors opened in 1971, our programs regularly become national models for pushing boundaries to give people of all backgrounds access to a high quality, affordable college education. We invite you to join us in imagining what our students, our community, and our country can become. Visit www.LaGuardia.edu to learn more.
Reporting to the Manager of Instructional Services, the IT Support Assistant will provide a broad range of computer support services necessary for the daily operation of all computer laboratories, computer classrooms, and smart classrooms. Support includes installation of hardware and software, as well as support to faculty using technology in the classroom. The selected individual must have a track record of providing maintenance of computer desktop environment by analyzing requirements, resolving problems, installing hardware, and software solutions. The IT Support Assistant Technician will be responsible for the maintenance of internal support of PC's, printers, servers, and related equipment. Tasks include end-user support, license tracking, and performing PC maintenance, upgrades and configurations. The IT Support Assistant Technician must have the ability of working independently or in a team environment.
Additional Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Repair and update all Instructional Services & Media Distribution (ISMD) and non-ISMD lab and smart room PC's and printers.
- Perform image update, preparation and deployment on PCs.
- Maintain inventory of all PCs, MACs, and other equipment.
- Help students with software related issues (in open labs only).
- Assist in the facilitation and management of student accounts for ISMD and Open labs in addition to our Print Management Software, PaperCut.
- Coordinate class schedules to ensure that computer classrooms are open and ready to receive students and faculty.
- Ensure all lab equipment is functioning and operational.
- Perform clerical and administrative tasks including answering telephones and data entry.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D., or equivalent
- Eighteen months of related full-time work experience or equivalent, such as completion of eighteen college credits in Information Technology
- Demonstrated English Language proficiency
- A Motor Vehicle Driver's license, valid in New York State, may be required for some, but not all positions.
- Knowledge of Active Directory and integrate multiple Group Policy Objects.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and System Center Configuration Manager.
- Ability to create, debug and initiate custom images for mass deployment and the ability to troubleshoot deployment errors.
- Familiarity with Windows Deployment Scenarios, Disk Imaging, Sysprep, drivers, and server management.
- Ability to create clusters with a variety of workloads, including File Serving and Hyper-V & VMware virtual machines.
Ability to navigate and understand DNS and DHCP configuration.
New Hire Salary: $35,964
Incumbent Salary: $40,639
This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression effective for the first 24 months only
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, go to www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Please attach a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three professional references as one document in rtf, doc or pdf format.
May 4, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Information Technology/Technical
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: LaGuardia Community College
Job Title: IT Support Assistant - Instructional Services
Job ID: 16582
Full/Part Time: Full-Time