Student Success Advisor
The Center for Academic Excellence is a department within Hofstra University’s Division of Student Affairs aimed at improving undergraduate students’ success and retention through its comprehensive academic support services and its partnership with the Division’s Student Success Collaborative team. Reporting to the Dean of the Center for Academic Excellence, the Student Success Advisor maintains high student contact to proactively support students through academic or other adjustments which may impact their academic performance or other aspects of their Hofstra experience, using a variety of interventions, referrals and follow-up services. Responsibilities will include regular contact with students via scheduled meetings, phone and email communications, triage, case management, and collaboration, consultation and referrals with colleagues within the Division of Student Affairs, faculty and other campus departments and offices. The Student Success Advisor does not engage in therapeutic relationships.
Responsibilities include but are limited to:
- Meet with students to develop personalized student success plans or intervention plans based on their unique circumstances and track progress towards their academic and personal goals.
- Collect, evaluate and record all information pertaining to student cases that come in through the REACH system, as well as referrals from other University departments.
- Communicate and collaborate with other University departments to expedite resolution of problems.
- Provide referrals to other support services within the University or to community agencies when appropriate.
- Track and follow up prior cases to evaluate and ensure student compliance with recommendations and adequate staff support for the student.
- Research, design, develop and implement workshops aimed at enhancing students’ academic and personal success
- Serve on Divisional or University-wide committees as needed, including the Administrative Judicial Board for the Office of Community Standards and participate in all training programs.
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean of the Center for Academic Excellence.
- Master’s Degree in higher education or a field of study that enhances the individual’s ability to assist at-risk students in an academic environment.
- At least two years of professional experience working with college students in academic advising, academic support programs, or other related fields.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment, process confidential information with discretion and adhere to FERPA guidelines.
- Capacity and desire to interact with individuals of varying social, cultural, economic, and educational backgrounds.
- Demonstrated ability to build trusting, strong, professional relationships with students, faculty and staff.
- Record of successful collaborations with students, faculty, staff, parents, and community partners.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities and possess outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Must possess knowledge in effective learning strategies, assessment tools, motivational techniques, and study skills development.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to build relationships, work as a team, as well as independently and maintain positive professional relationships.
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills and comfort level with appropriate technologies.
- Extended hours will be required on an as needed basis, including evening, early morning and weekend assignments, as needed.
- Experience working as part of case management support team.
- Demonstrated knowledge of online student tracking systems and database management.
- Excellent communication skills, strong attention to detail, and ability to gather and synthesize information from a variety of sources to make knowledgeable recommendations to best serve the students.
About Hofstra University
Founded in 1935, Hofstra University is an internationally ranked and recognized institution with ten schools and colleges offering 145 undergraduate and 160 graduate program options. Located in Hempstead, N.Y., our leafy 240-acre campus is a certified arboretum just a quick train ride from New York City, and all its cultural, recreational and professional opportunities. We offer small classes and personal attention, along with the resources, technology and facilities of a world-class university, including the Maurice A. Deane School of Law, the Hofstra Northwell School of Medicine, the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, the Frank G. Zarb School of Business, the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, the School of Education, Hofstra College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the Honors College, the School of Health Professions and Human Services, as well as the Fred DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science. Hofstra has hosted three consecutive presidential debates (2008, 2012, 2016), and is one of only three in the New York metropolitan area to have schools of medicine, law and engineering. With more than 11,000 students and 128,000 alumni from around the world, Hofstra University is a dynamic community dedicated to academic excellence, civic engagement and global innovation. The Center for University Advising is fully integrated in Hofstra University’s Division of Student Affairs, which has been named the last two years in a row as one of the “Most Promising Places to Work in Student Affairs” by The Center for Higher Education Enterprise.
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled. Interested individuals should send a letter describing their interest in and qualifications for the position, a résumé, and contact information, including e-mail addresses for three to five references (including at least one student). Information should be sent electronically (Microsoft Word or PDF attachments preferred) to:
Diane Herbert, PhD
Dean of the Center for Academic Excellence
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.
Apply for Student Success Advisor
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly