Development Manager - Major & Planned Gifts
Reporting to the Executive Director of Development, the Development Manager will build and manage relationships with new and existing individual major and planned gift donors with the intent to secure financial gifts or promises for the John Jay College Foundation in support of the College and the students we serve.
In addition to the CUNY title overview, responsibilities include:
- Conducts research and data analysis to ensure ongoing prospect identification and effective moves management strategies.
- Drafts letters of inquiry, acknowledgement letters, proposals, gift agreements and reports within a defined donor relations/cultivation strategy.
- Maintains planned gift marketing calendar, oversees strategic mailers and executes timely follow-up.
- Using PG Calc or other similar software provides planned gift calculations and proposals when requested.
- Maintains status report on active grants, proposals awaiting response and declined proposals.
- Maintains files and ensures all activity is reflected in the donor database; and provides other support as directed.
- Works directly with senior administration, faculty and others who will participate in donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
- Participates in regular campaign management meetings, reporting when required on progress to assigned financial goal.
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), is an internationally recognized leader in educating for justice, committed to the advancement of justice and just societies. It is a public liberal arts college that enriches the entire learning experience by highlighting themes of justice across the arts, sciences, humanities, and social sciences. Located steps from Lincoln Center at the cultural heart of New York City, the College offers Bachelor's and Master's degrees and participates in the Doctoral programs of the Graduate School of the City University of New York. John Jay College is also recognized for serving a broadly diverse student population. Under the leadership of its fourth president, Jeremy Travis, John Jay College has experienced unprecedented faculty hiring, an expansion of its curricular offerings, and the opening in 2011 of a new 600,000 square foot building complete with a black-box theatre, state-of-the-art lab space for students and faculty, a moot courtroom, and a variety of virtual learning settings. As evidenced by so many on-going developments, the College offers its many new faculty and staff the opportunity to shape the future of their institution.
Bachelor's Degree and six years' related experience required.
(Master's degree may substitute for up to two years of the required six years)
- Four (4) years of fundraising and relationship management experience in a development program, preferably within a major not-for profit or higher-education environment preferred.
- Experience in personal solicitation or transferable experience with a proven record of success.
- Excellent organizational and written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to prioritize, conduct analysis, assist in setting strategy, prepare reports, and establish and meet goals and milestones.
- Flexibility to work both independently and as a team member.
- Raiser's Edge and PG Calc experience desirable.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW
Plans and manages College fundraising strategy and operations.
- Implements and monitors comprehensive resource development program; makes recommendations to improve department policies and procedures
- Fulfills specific goals and targets based on individual portfolio
- Assists Director with developing funding strategies and assessing outcomes
- Oversees annual and/or major gift activities to support strategic plan
- Maintains relationships with donors and sponsoring organizations to cultivate and maintain funding
- Prepares financial reports for management; may write grant proposals
- May manage professional and/or clerical staff
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Development Manager
Higher Education Associate
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
$77,317 - $92,855
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing the job posting on John Jay College website or in CUNYfirst, please select the "Apply Now" button. If you are viewing the job posting on any other website, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listing"
- Click on "More options to search for CUNY jobs"
- Search by Job Opening ID number (Job ID 16621)
- Click on the "Apply Now" and follow the instructions
Once you have registered or logged in with your user name and password, upload your cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references as one document.
May 6, 2017.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: John Jay College
Job Title: Development Manager - Major & Planned Gifts
Job ID: 16621