Senior Associate, Business Management and Analysis Group
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
In support of the Financial Management team within the Executive Vice President and Treasurer's office, this Senior Associate - BMAG position will provide financial operations support to Schools and/or Divisions across the University. This position will play a key operational and strategic role in accomplishing the priorities of GW within the Schools and/or Divisions by working closely with Senior Leadership, Deans, Associate Deans, Program Directors, Principal Investigators, and other support units across GW, advising on business and financial matters.
This Senior Associate manages the fiscal and administrative affairs and operations for a School and/or Division and oversees the budget, forecast and five-year planning process. Provides financial management guidance and oversees accounting, financial planning and analysis, financial reporting, transaction/expense review and contract management. Serves as a trusted business advisor and sounding board to the Dean and/or Senior Leadership regarding the School and/or Division's financial matters, financial policies and procedures.
Facilitates internal and external audits to ensure establishment of proper internal adherence to University financial policies and procedures. Provides information, leads data gathering and documentation needed by the University for external reporting.
Reviews and evaluates financial reports for current and projected results and multiple year budgets/financial plans, directing the formulation and maintenance of a plan for the allocation of resources, including review and management of reserve funds. Analyzes operational issues and determines financial impact to School and/or Division.
Provides expert level financial and business analysis and consulting support to university Schools and Divisions and other units throughout the university including the offices of the Provost, Executive Vice President & Treasurer, Research, General Counsel and others.
Primary responsibilities include:
(1) Strategic Management: Provides proactive and strategic advice on all business and financial matters. Budgets, monitors, and assesses the effective and efficient use of operating, research and reserve funds.
(2) Financial Operations: Directs and manages fiscal operations including budget calls, quarterly updates, forecasts, accounting, asset management, procurement, and payroll, including on-going measurement of a School and/or Division's achievement of financial goals and objectives. Directs and manages a team of finance resources within a School and/or Division.
(3) Grants and Sponsored Research Management: Supports and guides pre-award budget proposals, reviews cost transfers, and leads analysis/problem solving for post-award financial management.
(4) Five-Year and Strategic Planning: Provides strategic forecasting of revenue and expenses for Schools or Divisions over a five year period.
(5) Contract Management: Reviews and monitors contracts and leases for services, equipment and space. Reviews and approves major purchases.
(6) Human Resources, Payroll, and Tax: Works closely with the designated Human Resource representatives and Faculty Personnel regarding compensation planning and review.
(7) Internal Control and Oversight: Ensures the establishment of proper internal controls and manages adherence to GW financial policies and procedures, providing training and guidance.
Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
While a significant portion of this job will be performed at the Foggy Bottom location, travel between the Foggy Bottom and Ashburn campuses is required.
As a whole, the Business Management and Analysis Group (BMAG) at George Washington University functions as an internal consulting group comprised of professionals with financial, business process, project management, and higher education administration expertise. They work on exciting university initiatives including financial and business continuity, financial and accounting analytics, new service development and implementation, and process improvement.Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 5 years of relevant professional experience. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
Bachelor's degree in Business, Finance and/or Accounting is preferred.
Demonstrated track record in a professional level financial operational role including management of $10 million plus budgets, forecasting, financial analysis, policy compliance, internal control oversight, and use of enterprise financial systems.
Demonstrated track record of conducting financial analysis to determine the feasibility of new initiatives and programs.
Advanced Excel and Database skills, including experience with financial modeling.
Knowledge of financial procedures related to higher education is a plus.
Additional experience in business process analysis and formal project management a plus.
Experience with Oracle's Enterprise Accounting System and Ellucian's Banner software application is a plus.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: Finance Family Finance and Business Sub-Family Project Management Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40+ Work Schedule: Mon-Fri 8:00 - 5:00 Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search, Credit Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006256 Job Open Date: 04/07/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Bachelor's Degree?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you currently employed with The George Washington University?
- * What is your expected salary range?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter