Associate Director, UPB (Internal Search)
Job Category: Academic Professional Academic Professional
University of Illinois
Office of Business Financial Services
University Payroll & Benefits
Associate Director, UPB Operations (Internal)
The University of Illinois seeks an Associate Director, UPB to direct and manage the General Accounting and Financial Reporting functions within University Payroll & Benefits. Manage the Fiscal Control & Management Unit ensuring system and process compliance; Direct and supervises the Managers for UPB Benefits Accounting and UPB Tax Compliance ensuring the implementation and maintenance of system internal controls and all financial reporting is prepared in compliance with Federal, State, and University guidelines. Additional responsibilities include:
1. Direct staff within UPB Fiscal Control & Management that are responsible for departmental fiscal responsibilities.
2. Determine procedures to ensure financial records/reports, under responsibility, are prepared and maintained in compliance with University policies and Federal/State guidelines.
3. Oversee the completion of Federal and State tax reporting, depositing requirements (including payroll and foreign nationals), and vendor payments as required by government and university regulation.
4. Responsible to act on behalf of the Director in his or her absence.
5. Responsible for the coordination of all internal and external audits related to University Payroll & Benefits. Ensuring supporting records, reports and documentation are provided as requested.
6. Oversee the UPB budget, confirming expenditures and revenue activity conforms to Federal, State, and University Financial Regulations. Ensuring satisfactory reporting to budget holders.
7. Partner and collaborate with the Director and/or Executive Director in meeting with and responding to University units, departments, offices, etc. seeking development of new and/or modified services of UPB and/or personnel.
8. Partner with colleagues in University Tax, Legal, Accounting, AITS, and HR to coordinate processes related to the operational needs of UPB and the University.
9. Participate in identifying and developing short- and long-term planning strategies that promote the effectiveness and efficiency of internal operations.
10. Serve on University, campus, and departmental committees/teams as assigned.
11. Serve as liaison and consultant to provide functional/technical expertise to AITS, OBFS BIS, CITES, Central Management Services, vendors and other technical contacts regarding network and systems requirements.
12. Responsible for creating and/or updating University Payroll and Benefits internal security policies and processes.
Candidate must be a current University of Illinois employee, possess a bachelor's degree in business, or related field with seven years of experience managing payroll or accounting operations in a large, complex environment, preferably in higher education. Additional requirements include: track record of organizational leadership, managing change, mentoring and staff development; thorough knowledge of federal laws pertaining to payroll, including benefits and foreign national issues; excellent written/verbal communication and leadership skills; proficient in using Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Internet Explorer; the ability to prepare correspondence, reports, and other business documents in a professional manner; ability to exercise good judgment and discretion in the performance of all work assignments, and with handling documents containing confidential and sensitive data/information; excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills to prioritize work accordingly to meet stringent deadlines and/or address matters of urgency while staying on task with other assigned duties and responsibilities.
Preferred qualifications include: proficiency with Banner applications; general knowledge regarding payroll, benefits, student insurance, and foreign national processing; and experience working in a higher education institution.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by April 21, 2017 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Employee Relations and Human Resources
809 S. Marshfield Ave
Chicago, IL 60612
The University of Illinois is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. University Administration welcomes applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.
Close Date: 04/21/2017