Job Category: Academic Professional Academic Professional
University of Illinois
The University of Illinois seeks a Publicity Coordinator to develops publicity campaigns and implements publicity efforts for the Press's entire book list (trade, scholarly, regional), focusing primarily on newly published books, currently about 100 new books per year. Additional responsibilities include:
1. Create comprehensive and successful publicity plans for 100 or more titles each year.
2. Oversee all review media mailings; develop creative, thorough, and targeted mailing lists for bound proof and finished books.
3. Write press releases, develop media kits, and research media contacts.
4. Develop strong relationships with print and electronic media; meet and communicate with book review editors and radio/TV producers regularly to present new titles; special focus on metropolitan media in: Chicago, New York and Washington, D.C.
5. Attend selected academic and trade conferences (including weekend travel).
6. Manage UI Press blog and the Press presence on other social networking sites including Twitter and Facebook. Update content regularly, including scheduling posts from authors and others and working with IT on form and function.
7. Update and maintain in-house publicity database (FileMaker) and research media contacts via online guide (Cision).
8. Attend editorial and marketing meetings and provide analyses of publicity prospects for new titles.
9. Maintain relationships with other departments at UI (Urbana, Chicago, and Springfield campuses), including the office of the alumni relations, the office of Public Affairs, and the office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
10. Arrange book signings and launch parties at bookstores, libraries, museums, historical societies, book festivals, and academic conferences.
11. Oversee the production of video book trailers.
12. Arrange regional, national, and international radio/TV appearances
13. Communicate publicity information to authors, editors, and UIP marketing staff.
14. Manage publicity budget and schedules.
15. Manage author relationships.
16. Serve on the Crisis Communication Committee.
17. Participate in the professional activities of the Association of American University Presses.
18. Responsible for overseeing staff (Marketing and Sales Assistant).
Candidates must possess a bachelor's degree in a related field with two years of experience in book publishing or a minimum of five years of experience in publicity/public relations. Additional requirements include: strong writing, interpersonal and organizational skills; knowledge and demonstrated experience with the Microsoft Office Suite; demonstrated experience with databases and knowledge of the web; and ability to travel out of state (by airplane).
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by April 28, 2017 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The University of Illinois may conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Employee Relations and Human Resources
449 Henry Administration Building, MC 341
506 South Wright Street
Urbana, IL 61801
The University of Illinois is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. University Administration welcomes applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.
Close Date: 04/28/2017