The Office of University Controller (OUC) is responsible for managing the university's system of record - the Financial System - and its interfaces with purchasing, payables, human resources, and other subsystems, including the Cognos Reporting System. It works closely with the campus controllers, the state controller, and the state auditor's office to ensure that fiscal practices comply with external and internal rules and regulations and generally accepted accounting principles. The OUC communicates fiscal policies and procedures to the university community through its news blog, website, and training programs, and provides direct assistance to faculty, staff, and other individuals through the Finance & Procurement Help Desk. The office also administers a Continuing Professional Education program and the CU Shared Practices (CUSP) employee recognition program.
We are seeking an experienced Financial and Accounting Professional to add to the University of Colorado System Administration team. This position is part of Accounting Services within the Office of University Controller and reports to the Director of Accounting Services. The Financial Accountant will support the University's mission by providing timely, accurate and relevant financial information to the University's fiscal employees and external entities, as well as assisting the Office of University Controller with necessary accounting functions. This position is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified System.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties of this position can be broken down into the following timeframe:
On a monthly basis (30%):
- Set up new Programs and SpeedTypes in PeopleSoft
- Pay invoices for services received for the OUC
- Track capital assets for the System office
- Assist in preparing financial statements and related data tables
- Perform reconciliations of various bank and general ledger accounts
On a quarterly basis (10%):
- Prepare top-level financial statements
- Prepare variance analysis and report for Regent Audit Committee meeting
On an annual basis (30%):
- Observe capital asset inventory
- Help compile and review Annual Financial Report
- Consolidate and format the Supplemental Financial Statements (fund level financials by campus)
- Provide support for the external auditors
- Prepare State Exhibits
- Prepare the Inter Campus Cost Allocation (ICCA)
- Complete Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS)
- Complete the Higher Learning Commission Annual Institution Data Report
- Review and update, if necessary, all job-related procedures
- Calculate and create journal entries for:
- Pay Date Shift and biweekly payroll accruals
- Compensated Absences accrual
- Other Postemployment Benefits (OPEB) liability true-up
- Alternate Medicare Plan (AMP) liability true-up
- Intercampus eliminations
- Foundation Gift accrual
- Create the CU Foundation audit confirmation
Other Duties/Projects as Assigned (5%)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To be successful in this position a person will need the following:
- Ability to successfully communicate using both oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently, with supervision as necessary
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent tasks and responsibilities, and effectively manage to changing priorities while maintaining personal effectiveness
Who we are: System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. This position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary range has been established at $50,000- $56,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. Information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution of higher education with a concentration in Accounting (twenty-four semester credit hours of accounting ) or equivalent specialized experience (Comparable professional work experience may be substituted on a year for year basis for the educational requirement).
- Two (2) years of technical accounting experience
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Excel
- CPA, or working towards certification
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GASB)
- Professional experience with PeopleSoft applications
- Professional experience with the State of Colorado's general ledger system, commonly referred to as CORE
- Professional experience in the State of Colorado higher education system
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Access
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration completed applications must be submitted by April 24, 2017. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and references to your application as three separate documents. Please identify the job specific minimum qualifications you possess in your cover letter. Also, ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50027 - University Controller
Posting Date: Apr 7, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Kris Truesdale
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00701122