Senior Director of Strategic Communication
Functional Title Senior Director of Strategic Communication
Position Type Administration - Staff
Re-Post, Previous Applicants Need Not Re-Apply, Still Under Consideration
University Communications is the lead marketing and strategic communication group for UNCG. The department has responsibility for building the University's reputation/brand through a variety of tactics ranging from marketing
communications and advertising, public relations, digital and social media, and campus communications.
University Communications is currently seeking qualified candidates to consider for a Sr. Director of Strategic Communication position.
The duties and responsibilities of this position include:
- Work closely with the AVC, University Communications the Sr. Director Media Relations, the University Communications team and key stakeholders on campus to develop a strategic communications plan to engage the campus community.
- Direct strategic communications and key messages to advance UNCG's reputation for academic excellence, research, economic impact and service.
- Assess communication channels for effectiveness and make recommendations for enhancements.
- Work closely with the editor of the Campus Weekly newsletter to enhance content and effectiveness.
- Ensure that organizational priorities and messages are aligned and appropriately reflected in the University Communications strategy, tools and implementation, while maximizing internal and external communication of all priorities and messages.
- Guide the direction and implementation of strategic messages with assistance of other key stakeholders across UNCG and various constituencies.
- Provide strategic communications counsel and support for senior administrators, including the Chancellor, Provost, Vice Chancellor for Business
Affairs and others.
- Work closely with deans, faculty and staff to gain an understanding of strategic communication priorities.
- Partner with key departments across the university, including University Advancement, Alumni Affairs, Admissions and Division of Continual Learning to develop and implement strategic marketing and communication plans that enhance awareness and engagement of key audiences, including prospective students, alumni and donors.
- Oversee a small team of communication professionals who provide editing, writing, photography and graphic design services, as well as external agencies and freelancers as required, in support of the university's strategic vision and goals.
- Manage special communications projects and announcements including leadership transitions, and special events of importance (125th anniversary) capital campaign, etc.
- Establish processes that will ensure accountability and effectiveness and clearly defined goals, objectives and methods to measure success.
- Manage the goal setting and performance management process with team members.
• Bachelor's degree in communications or marketing. A master's degree in business administration with a marketing concentration a significant plus.
• Minimum of 10 to 15 years of strategic communications experience with senior-level branding, marketing communications, direct marketing and engagement communications roles for large, diverse organizations and a proven track record of achieving results.
• Proven ability to think strategically, aligning department objectives and strategic plans with the mission of the University and organizational goals.
• Demonstrated experience in building identity and developing key messages for use with a broad range of constituencies.
• Experience producing collateral materials and publications for external and internal audiences.
• Experience leading research projects with key audiences.
• Experience managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced department
• Demonstrated ability to lead, motivate and develop a team of communication professionals.
• Collegial and collaborative approach and track record of building strong relationships with diverse stakeholders.
• Outstanding project management skills, including the ability to handle multiple clients and projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
• Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality with sensitive information.
• Advanced writing, editing and presentation skills, with ability to write for senior administrators
• Strong attention to detail, ability to work independently.
• Extensive experience developing relationships with key community stakeholders and representing organizations in the local community
• Strong preference for local candidates; relocation assistance not provided.
- Marketing experience in Higher Education
Tenure Status N/A
Recruitment Range Commensurate with Experience
Org #-Department University Communications - 33901
Job Open Date 02/03/2017
For Best Consideration Date 02/24/2017
Job Close Date 04/24/2017
Open Until Filled No
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample(s)
- List of References
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3
- Link to Professional Portfolio
- Other Documents
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Greensboro News & Record
- Carolina Peacemaker
- Other Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Professional Journal
- UNC System Job Board
- Other Online Job Board
- Personal Networking
- Search Firm
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu