10002384 - Program Chair, Humanities
Program Chair, Humanities
Communication, Arts, and the Humanities
The Undergraduate School (TUS)
12-Month Collegiate Faculty, Full-Time
The Undergraduate School (TUS) at the University of Maryland University College (UMUC) seeks a Program Chair for its Bachelor of Arts degree program in HUMANITIES. The new program chair will join one of the largest online institutions in the world, serving a global student population. Working adults, military personnel, and other students around the globe are achieving their academic goals through UMUC's innovative educational options, including online instruction, accelerated academic programs, and classroom-based courses taught during the daytime, evenings, and weekends. UMUC offers on-site instruction in over 150 locations in the U.S., Asia, and Europe, including over 20 locations in the Maryland and greater D.C. area. One of 11 degree-granting institutions in the University System of Maryland (USM), UMUC is the largest public institution of higher education in the U.S., serving over 92,000 students annually, including over 70,000 undergraduates and 20,000 graduate students.
UMUC strives to reflect the diversity of the global community within which it exists. Cultural differences are valued as essential to the educational process and working environment. Candidates with an understanding of and appreciation for diversity are especially encouraged to apply.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Developing project-based and competency-oriented curriculum in Humanities
- Learning outcomes assessment and program improvement based on data
- Recruitment, management, development, and support of program faculty;
- Fostering and maintaining professional connections in the field of Humanities
- Supporting students in the program
- Other job-related duties as assigned
- This is an academic administrative position; program chairs teach one course onload each year
Required Education and Experience:
- Doctoral degree in Philosophy, Religion or other area of the Humanities from a regionally accredited college or university required
- Four years of managerial experience in the humanities field in a professional setting
- At least three years teaching at the university level required
- Experience in distance and/or adult education
- Must be comfortable using information technology and related teaching and management tools
- Experience in presenting effectively to both large and small audience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment and the ability to foster and develop internal and external relationships to further develop the program are musts
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Managerial experience in a professional/educational setting and demanding work environment, managing substantial programs and large numbers of employees
- Significant work in Philosophy combined with a broad view of the humanities
- Knowledge of competency-based approaches to teaching and learning
- Experience with curriculum design and development
- Experience in adaptive and other technologies
POSITION AVAILABLE IMMEDIATELY & WILL REMAIN OPEN UNTIL FILLED
SALARY COMMENSURATE WITH EXPERIENCE
All submissions should include a cover letter and résumé. UMUC Offers an excellent benefits package to include up to 8 credits of tuition remission per semester, a minimum of 25 days of leave, and a range of insurance options.