Postdoctoral Research Fellow
The Postdoctoral Research Fellow is responsible for developing timely, high-quality research products in the Diplometrics project. This position will be expected to independently develop research ideas and collaboratively execute research with Pardee Center staff and graduate student researchers. Sub-projects within the larger Diplometrics research agenda vary considerably in scope and character and will require critical thinking and interpersonal skills. For instance, one team of graduate Research Assistants may be building a dataset on multinational corporations.
The Diplometrics project at the Pardee Center focuses on building databases, constructing tools and performing analysis focused on international relations theory. To date, the project has built databases on international organizations, diplomatic exchange, and treaties held by the United Nations. The project expects to add to this data collection effort by producing data on non-state actors including international non-governmental organizations, multinational corporations and transnational organized crime. We have also developed tools to help visualize the data, the diplomatic dashboard, and analyze and aggregate our data. This data feeds a research agenda that is interested in measuring and modeling international relations, specifically how global governance is likely to shift across time. The Diplometrics project has several tools under development, and the Research Fellow may be asked to assume a leadership role in guiding the evolution of these products. Successful management of these products requires a strong understanding of the goals of the project and excellent communication skills.
This position is being offered as a 12-month appointment and will start in July 2017 and complete in July 2018 (exactly one year from the date of the first work day). The Pardee Center may offer to extend the duration of this position at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to coordinate project tasks and keep track of details and deadlines
- Strong technical writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to present complex research findings clearly and accurately
- Proficient to advanced-level skill with Excel as well as other data transformation tools (Stata, Tableau)
- Knowledge of open-source statistical programming options, such as R or Python
- Knowledge of Tableau, ArcGIS, Gephi or other data visualization software
- PhD in Political Science, Economics, Statistics, or other relevant quantitative disciplines.
- Experience leading the conceptualization and production of complex research projects.
- Demonstrated experience in project management that met time, personnel, and quality expectations.
- Experience functioning within a team, working on multiple projects simultaneously, and meeting deadlines.
- Minimum of two years of experience in project management.
Special InstructionsCandidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.