Division Dean of Social Science, Communication and Health (Rock Creek Campus)
Division Dean of Social Science, Communication and Health (Rock Creek Campus)
Portland Community College
Requisition Number: 09014
Location: Rock Creek Campus
Address: 17705 NW Springville Road, Portland, OR
Hours of Work: Varies
Position Status: Management; Level N; Full-time; Exempt
Starting Salary Range: **Salary Information: Full Range: $87,873 to $127,413 annual Generally, Starting Salary for new employees will not exceed the mid-point of the range, based qualifications, experience, and i
Job Close Date: For best consideration apply by April 28, 2017
Portland Community College's Rock Creek Campus is looking for a Division Dean for the Social Science, Communication and Health Division.
This division encompasses a variety of popular programs designed to inspire a love of learning and to prepare PCC's diverse students for exciting careers and/or further education. Our faculty and staff are dedicated to student success. The division is seeking a highly effective administrator who will empower, support, and advocate for them in implementing the college's mission.
The official responsibilities of the Division Dean are to provide broad administrative direction and leadership in the development, expansion, revision, improvement and maintenance of multiple quality education programs. An extremely important part of this role at PCC is to bring a student-centered priority and a passion for inspiring learning to the administration of a rich and complex division. If you are a participatory leader, dedicated to student success, and excited by meaningful collaboration with faculty, staff and administrators on a daily basis, this may be the division for you.
If this sounds like a learning community that you would like to be a part of, please apply today!
PCC Rock Creek is about 12 miles west of downtown Portland, in the growing Beaverton-Hillsboro area. Our classes frequently use the neighboring farm and wetland areas as outdoor learning labs. Rock Creek served 22,280 students in the 2015-16 academic year. Find out more at http://www.pcc.edu/about/locations/rock-creek/.
Here is our Intended Recruitment Timeline
- April 3, 2017: Job Announcement Published
- April 28, 2017: Deadline for Preferred Applications
- May 19, 2017: Semi-finalist Video Interviews
- June 8-9, 2017: Finalist On-Campus Interviews & Tours
PCC offers a comprehensive benefit package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with a access to a broad range of benefit options. Includes Health, Dental, and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance. Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
14.67 hours of Vacation leave per month
1 day of Sick Leave per month
3 additional Personal Leave days per year
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waiver for you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age, as well as tuition reimbursement for full-time employees at other accredited institutions.
Typical Division Dean Responsibilities and Duties
1. Supervises division faculty, academic professionals, classified staff, technical/support, and/or student staff. Evaluates and oversees the development of professional development plans and goals for assigned faculty department chairs, faculty, academic professionals, and classified staff in accordance with good management practices, campus policies, and collective bargaining agreements. Hires, evaluates, trains, disciplines and recommends dismissal of staff as necessary.
2. Provides leadership in planning, implementing, evaluating, and modifying multiple educational programs, processes, and operations related to assigned areas of responsibility; interprets and applies federal and state mandated guidelines. Plans, implements, administers, and evaluates related programs, projects, and services impacting the college.
3. Establishes, monitors, evaluates, and modifies processes, procedures, and/or standards, ensuring alignment with the College's mission, values, goals, and objectives, as well as all local, state, and federal laws and regulations. Monitors programs to ensure compliance with applicable accrediting bodies.
4. Serves as a liaison to applicable external agencies and businesses, the community, the general public, internal departments, and applicable educational institutions representing the College with respect to academic programs, processes, and procedures. Convenes advisory and related committees for vocational and technical programs and maintains related records.
5. Participates in the development and marketing of programs in assigned area of responsibility to increase enrollment and revenues for the District.
6. Directs the maintenance of a variety of student and academic program records and information in assigned areas of responsibility.
7. Oversees faculty teaching assignments, schedules, and classroom assignments in accordance with established District policy.
8. Develops, implements, and manages grant-funded programs to supplement academic programs.
9. Develops and administers budgets in assigned areas of responsibility; implements and allocates resources following budget approval; approves expenditures.
10. Evaluates and communicates the impact of potential legal or regulatory changes on the College.
11. Responds to and resolves student, faculty, and/or staff grievances and complaints.
12. Advises and responds to questions from College departments and external agencies regarding complex issues or policies impacting assigned programs and services.
13. Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: To be considered for this position, your application materials must show how you meet the following requirements:
- Master's degree in any academic field from an accredited college or university
- Three years progressively responsible managerial (supervisory) experience. [ Measured as the equivalent of 3 years full-time experience]
Knowledge and Skills
- Managerial principles;
- Grant management principles and practices;
- Budgeting principles and practices;
- Contract management principles and practices;
- Accreditation standards;
- Conflict mediation principles and practices;
- Public relations principles;
- Program development principles;
- Records maintenance principles and practices;
- Higher education principles and practices.
Demonstrated Skill in:
- Managing and providing leadership to subordinate staff;
- Developing, recommending, implementing, and monitoring academic programs, policies, procedures, and work flow;
- Developing and managing a budget;
- Managing grants-funded programs;
- Managing contracts;
- Evaluating assigned programmatic area for compliance with applicable regulations and accreditation requirements;
- Speaking in public;
- Conducting research to identify solutions, resolve problems, or provide information;
- Mediating conflict;
- Developing and marketing academic programs;
- Working with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff;
- Utilizing computer technology for communication, data gathering and reporting activities;
- Communicating effectively through oral and written mediums.
Notes to Applicant:
- The education and/or work history sections of your online application form must demonstrate that you meet all of the following Minimum Qualifications.
- Satisfactory references and successful completion of the criminal background check are required to meet the minimum qualifications for hire into this position.
These qualifications and characteristics are critical to success in this important role at PCC. Please clarify in your application materials the experiences, successes and techniques evidencing how you bring these strengths.
- Preferred candidate acknowledges the essential role as advocate for the division's faculty, staff, and students.
- Preferred candidate has experience managing, supervising, and supporting programs in a complex organizational structure.
- Demonstrated participatory leadership style with a dedication to working in collaboration with faculty, staff, and students.
- Highly effective communication skills with proven experience with conflict resolution; Willingness to hold difficult conversations early and a demonstrated work ethic to see them through to the end.
- Experience gathering and synthesizing information from multiple sources and perspectives in order to make appropriate decisions for the division's people and programs, including the ability to prioritize competing interests.
- Demonstrated commitment to life-long learning and promoting a passion for learning in others.
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position you must submit:
1. Completed online application
2. Cover Letter (attach document)* Please state how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications.
3. Current Resume (attach document)*
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Applicants selected for further consideration may be asked to complete a supplemental questionnaire.
Notes to Applicant:
- Upon hire candidate will be required to provide official transcripts for all degrees earned.
- Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
- As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: jobs.pcc.edu
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.