IT Computer Systems Manager, Level 2 - High Performance Computing Systems Engineer (Provisional)
I.T. Computer Systems Managers manage and direct an Information Technology area at a College or University level. They set policies and procedures, direct technical staff, and maintain responsibility for administrative as well as technical issues within their assigned area(s) of responsibility. They may manage major and/or large, complex information systems activities and/or manage a unit or group.
This job is in CUNY's Classified Managerial Service. The full specification is available on our web site at http://www.cuny.edu/about/administration/offices/ohrm/hros/classification/ccsjobs.html
Computer Systems Manager
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The College of Staten Island (CSI) is a City University of New York (CUNY) senior College organized around two academic divisions and three schools, with over 14,000 students. CSI offers a broad range of academic programs in the liberal arts and sciences, and in several professional areas. The College awards associate's, bachelor's, master's and clinical doctoral degrees, and in collaboration with The CUNY Graduate Center, numerous Ph.D. degrees. CSI's internationally recognized faculty passionately engage in scholarly and artistic activities, and together with a strong professional staff, lead students through transformational learning experiences both inside and outside of the classroom. The College is situated on a 204-acre site, has recently incorporated a residential component, and is currently engaging in capital expansion. It is a hub of intellectual and artistic activity and a community partner and source of economic impact and job creation for the greater Staten Island area.
The mission of the CUNY High Performance Computing Center (HPCC) is to provide the CUNY research community with state-of-the-art computing capabilities dedicated to breakthrough science and engineering. The HPCC houses a number of significant HPC and storage systems. Researchers use these computing resources to address cutting-edge problems in science and engineering at high scale and speed, a QDR and FDR Infiniband, 10 Gbit Ethernet, as well as custom networks.. These systems are organized to support data-centric computing.
The individual will participate in ad-hoc multi-disciplinary teams to address expanding the use of computational methods within CUNY, participate in the development of research proposals, and participate in research activities. She or he will manage the implementation of high performance computing systems.
Reporting to the Senior Computing Systems Manager, the Systems Engineer is responsible for the following:
- Manages staff and/or contractors in the installation of system software and hardware including Linux operating systems, file systems software, and network equipment.
- Establishes policy and procedures; trains staff and engineers in order to assure secure access into the HPC systems as well as to assure reliability of these systems.
- Manages and develops solutions to complex problems where analysis requires in-depth technical understanding of a broad range of fields including but not limited to Operating Systems, Networking, Storage, Data Center Management, and supported software.
- Coordinates with other members of the HPC Center staff and manages the activities of direct reports to develop and maintain software tools that aid in automating the administration of the
HPC systems and of the operational tasks involved with it.
- Manages the resolution of service problems and the development of tools and automation to prevent problems from reoccurring.
- Troubleshoots complex hardware, software, or network-related problems through to completion and resolution. Interfaces with and manages the activities of various technical staff having different areas of expertise and supervises the activities of hardware and software vendors to identify and solve product problems.
- Conducts infrastructure performance analysis and tuning.
- Advises faculty and researchers on their HPC needs.
- Stays current with state of the art in the field.
- Demonstrates an understanding of, and adheres to, systems methodologies, quality control and performance standards, and work methods established in the unit. Explains these standards to others and administers compliance activities. Recommends and implements improvements to operational procedures.
- Provides timely and effective service.
- Six (6) years of progressively responsible full-time paid information systems technology experience, at least 18 months of which shall have been in an administrative or managerial capacity in the areas of computer applications programming, systems programming, information systems development, data telecommunications, data base administration or a closely related area.
- Education at an accredited College or University may be substituted for the general information systems technology experience at the rate of one year of college for 6 months of experience up to a maximum of 4 years of college for 2 years of experience. In addition a Master's degree in computer science or a closely related field from an accredited college or university may be substituted for an additional year of the general information systems technology experience. However, all candidates must possess the 18 months of administrative or managerial experience described above.
This title has multiple levels. In addition to the minimum qualifications above, additional qualifications, such as education, experience, or certification relevant to the area of specialization are required.
We seek a candidate who has strong analytical and troubleshooting skills with a background as a Linux System Administrator and a developer, experienced in running high-volume or critical production services.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Ph.D. or Master's degree in a technical discipline in science, mathematics, computer science/systems/networks, or engineering and five years of practical experience in management of high performance Unix/Linux computing systems and/or high speed networks
- Experience with Perl, C, Python, SQL, Shell scripting
- A solid understanding of Linux-based operating systems along with experience in performance analysis and tuning
- Experience with TCP/IP networking (configuring routers and switches), network security (building firewalls, deploying authentication systems), Mellanox and Arista equipment
- Ability to troubleshoot complex systems and networks, and to solve problems quickly and completely
- Experience with scale (number of physical machines, quantity of disk, number of queries per second) in a Data Center environment
- Ability to identify tasks which require automation and automate them
- In depth knowledge of infrastructure monitoring technologies (SNMP, Nagios, perfSonar, RRDtool)
- Experience with trouble-ticketing systems
- Experience developing and implementing a site disaster recovery plan
- Experience in high performance UNIX/Linux clusters using cluster provisioning and management tools such as Rocks or Bright Cluster Manager along with workload managers
such as PBS pro, MOAB, or SLURM
- Experience with configuration management tools like Puppet, CFEngine, Chef
- Experience managing mid- to large-scale (>100TB) filesystems; Lustre, GPFS, and Tivoli Storage Manager exposure
- Experience supporting VMware ESX, Xen, KVM or similar virtualization environment running on UNIXLinux
- Experience installing, managing, and tuning MySQL or PostgreSQL databases
- Demonstrated working understanding of IT management processes and methodologies such as ITIL
- Capable of concise and focused communication with researchers, IT staff and University administrators; excellent writing and oral communication skills; able to document and share knowledge with peers and project team members
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please visit http://cuny.jobs/ and enter the Job ID# in the "What" section field. Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information) as one file.
May 5, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Managerial/Professional
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: College of Staten Island
Job Title: IT Computer Systems Manager, Level 2 - High Performance Computing Systems Engineer (Provisional)
Job ID: 16579
Full/Part Time: Full-Time