College Assistant - Administrative Offices (Mulitple Vacancies)
- Under supervision, performs miscellaneous clerical, administrative, research or other work related to the operation of a College or other unit where such work is required on a part-time basis or for a period of limited duration.
- There is one Assignment Level for this position. All personnel perform related work. This specification describes typical assignments; related duties may be assigned as
- Maximum tenure for any employee in this hourly position is 1040 hours per year.
- Performs routine clerical work; may answer and attend to telephone calls; maintain records,
operate office machines (such as copier), sort and distribute mail, issue keys and identity cards,
act as messenger, and perform related tasks as required.
- Types letters, memoranda, charts, and similar materials.
- Acts as cashier.
- Assists in statistical or research activities. May collect and compile data, code data for computer entry, perform data entry, and run computer reports.
- Performs clerical library work, such as sorting and shelving books, performing data entry into library systems, or binding books and periodicals.
- Assists in instructional programs, including tutoring and assisting students in areas such as reading and mathematics. May assist in speech and hearing therapy, provide musical accompaniment, and/or distribute and collect physical education equipment.
- Enters and maintains departmental records such as inventory control records, rosters, directories, and schedules.
- May operate computers, computer software, and other electronic equipment in performing assigned tasks.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
The City University of New York's Central Office is seeking College Assistants to work in various areas. This is an excellent opportunity for motivated individuals interested in pursuing a career in the fields of Higher Education Administration, Research, Legal Affairs, Labor Relations, Budget & Finance, Project Management, Facilities Management, Admissions, Computer Information Services, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, and Government Relations.
The College Assistant will provide administrative support by conducting research, preparing reports, handling information requests, and performing clerical functions such as preparing correspondence, receiving visitors, arranging conference calls, and scheduling meetings.
Key responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Provides reception and clerical support to a CUNY Central Office administrative department.
- Prepares reports, invoices, memos, letters, financial statements, and other documents, using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Conducts research, compiles data, and prepares papers for consideration and presentation by executives, committees and directors.
- Assists in the coordination of events, conferences, and meetings and maintains Outlook calendar for administrators.
- Attends meetings to record minutes.
- Greets visitors and assesses whether they should be given access to specific individuals.
- Reads and analyzes incoming memos, submissions, and reports to determine their significance and plans their distribution.
- Performs general office duties such as ordering supplies, maintaining internal records management database systems, and performing basic tracking or bookkeeping tasks.
- Files, retrieves, and scans documents, records, and reports.
- Opens, sorts, and distributes incoming correspondence, including faxes and email.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
*Maximum tenure for any employee in this hourly position is 1040 hours per year or 20 hours per week.
- Must demonstrate sufficient skills to perform the duties of the assigned tasks.
Ideal candidates will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Entry-level experience in Higher Education Administration, Research, Legal Affairs, Public Health, Labor Relations, Budget & Finance, Project Management, Facilities Management, Computer Information Services, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, or Government Relations.
- Capable of providing thorough customer needs assessments, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite, principally Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and/or Access.
- Experience with PeopleSoft or an ERP in a higher education environment is a plus.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work both independently and with a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to express initiative and willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges.
- Attention to detail and capable of adapting to change.
New Hire: $9.72/hr* - Incumbent: $10.99 - $21.34/hr (Old Contract Salary)
New Hire:$12.00/hr* - Incumbent: $13.00 - $23.57/hr (New Contract Salary - 2017)
*This amount reflects a 13% salary suppression in effect for the first 24 months of employment only. Hourly rates subject to increase following implementation of applicable collective bargaining agreement.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
For full consideration, submit a cover letter and rsum online via CUNY's web-based job system, addressing how your experience and credentials fulfill the responsibilities and qualifications outlined.
The direct link to the job opening from external sources is:
April 19, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Central Office
Job Title: College Assistant - Administrative Offices (Mulitple Vacancies)
Job ID: 16216
Full/Part Time: Part-Time