Costume: Wardrobe Coordinator
University of Delaware
Job Title Costume: Wardrobe Coordinator
Job ID 104530
Location Newark, DE
Pay Grade: 27N
Context of the Job:
Under limited supervision of the Costume Director, the Wardrobe Coordinator is responsible for organizing and maintaining all finished costumes and wigs for all dress rehearsals and performances. The Wardrobe Coordinator hires, trains, and supervises all members of the wardrobe crew. S/he organizes all wardrobe areas and purchases supplies for that area. S/he ensures that each performer is dressed appropriately for each entrance. S/he is proficient in costume maintenance including laundry, steaming, ironing, and hand and machine sewing. S/he designs and rehearses quick changes whether executed by him/herself or by a member of the crew. S/he assists the costume shop with stock maintenance, construction, or purchasing as assigned. At the end of each production, s/he cleans all costumes, and makes sure that they are placed into stock and that rentals are returned.
- Maintains all costumes in to the highest standard throughout dress rehearsals and performances. Ensures all costume pieces are ready for performers before actor's call.
- Creates dressing lists, show notes, and costume check-in sheets in order to track all costume pieces throughout the dress rehearsals and performances.
- Attends production meetings and designer run. Communicates with stage management about any special needs.
- Establishes "Quick Change" and dressing procedures. Ensures that actors are supported in dressing and quick changes.
- Ensures each performer is dressed appropriately including: hair, make up, clothing, millinery, jewellery and footwear according to the design approved by the director and costume designer.
- Coordinates strike of all costume pieces upon shows completion. Mends, restores, launders, dry-cleans, and restocks all costume pieces including wigs, clothing, millinery, jewellery and footwear.
- Hires, trains and supervises wardrobe crew.
- Sets up and maintains a fully stocked work room with supplies for mending, maintenance and cleaning costume pieces throughout the run of the show.
- Sets up and maintains dressing rooms and back stage quick change areas as well as keeps costume storage organized.
- Performs miscellaneous job related duties as assigned by the Costume Director.
- Minimum of a high school diploma or GED with 3-4 years professional wardrobe experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to work calmly under pressure.
- Knowledge of theatre production operations and procedures.
- Knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of costume construction.
- Proficient in hand and machine sewing, crafts, wig maintenance, and millinery
- Proficient in operating domestic and industrial sewing machinery.
- Ability to train wardrobe staff.
- Proficient in Excel, Word, Google Docs.
- Strong, effective organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds.