Police Communication Supervisor
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
University Police Department
Police Communications Supervisor
Position #218170- Requisition 07875
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
This full-time, state classified position exists to provide supervision, support, leadership and management of communications personnel, records, and equipment by: following procedures, assisting in emergent and non-emergent situations, effective decision making, completing performance plans, coaching, and evaluations, training, mentoring, attending training and conferences, scheduling personnel, overseeing equipment operations, and processing records. This is also a dispatching/monitoring position, and the employee is expected to cover those positions as needed as well as attend meetings, complete assignments, and provide support to other departmental personnel.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Attend available training that include topics on supervision; leadership; records management; employee evaluations; disciplinary actions; CCIC updates; police dispatch center management; etc.
- Develop performance plans, and evaluations.
- Attend divisional, departmental and other meetings and conferences as necessary to include Patrol, Dispatch Supervisory, Team, BWA, Alert/Sam, APCO, ARMS, E911, CCRN, and CBI.
- Attend vendor meetings for NICE, E911, ARMS, and Radios. Attend other meetings as requested.
- Review policies, procedures, and guidelines with employees.
- Review training needs and submit training requests.
- Practice department drills.
- Assist in developing and updating training for new employees.
- Provide training for the new employees.
- Implement new procedures and guidelines as they are issued.
- Devise and implement training scenarios. Participate in the development and implementation of campus wide drills.
- Ensure proper use and security of the system.
- Stay updated on changing rules and regulations for the use of NCIC/CCIC.
- Complete required paperwork and notifications for certain NCIC/CCIC actions. Attend CBI supervisory training.
- Manage access to the CBI system. Attend BWA meetings. Review CBI Newsletters for updates and new processes. Document and report any system misuse.
- Assist department staff with questions and training.
- Perform equipment checks.
- Manage, attend training, update databases, and provide training for ARMS, CBI, NICE, RAVE, CCURE, RMS, and CAMERA'S.
- Maintain police radios and push to talk phones.
- Order needed supplies. Perform trouble shooting and minor repairs.
- Work with vendors for needed repairs.
- Process, maintain, distribute and purge police records.
- Ensure records database entries are complete and accurate.
- Oversee CBI queries, entries and cancellations to ensure proper reporting to CBI and paperwork distributed according to CBI policies and procedures.
- Maintain and update ARMS database with CRS codes, duplicate master names, incident, location and brand codes.
- Maintain call recordings.
- Ensure daily crime logs are complete and accurate according to Clery Reporting.
- Review staffing and scheduling needs, process leave requests, and adjust schedules as needed.
- Review and update timesheets in Kronos.
- Check CAD entries for accuracy and completeness and review with employees.
- Ensure procedures and guidelines are being followed.
- Complete after action reviews of critical incidents.
- Cover dispatch/monitoring duties during staffing shortages.
- Complete necessary letters of instructions and corrective actions.
- Complete monthly chronological logs and review with employees.
- Provide positive feedback on a regular basis.
- Assign duties to employees and follow-up regularly with their assignments.
Note: This is an essential services position. The incumbent is required to respond after hours during emergencies and report to work for regular assigned shifts during emergency campus closures.
Salary and Benefits:
Hiring Salary Range: $4,273-$4,713 / month (non-negotiable)*
*The salary offered is usually the minimum listed, however, a salary above the minimum may be offered for some hard to fill positions.
Employees hired into these positions are eligible for University benefits. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits program, including eligibility, is located at www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Please make sure to include the following in your resume: job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis.
• Two years of experience in police radio/telephone communications equipment operations, including at least 6 months as a supervisor or shift leader.
Colorado law requires that candidates for state government jobs be residents of Colorado at the time of application.
Conditions of Employment:
• Must be willing and able to work long hours, various shifts, weekends, days off, holidays and available for call back
• Must be willing to be sedentary, sitting for long periods of time
• Must be willing and able to work in a confined work space
• Must be able to identify colors in order to distinguish specific alarms that are color coded for specific content.
• Must be willing and able to provide off-hour phone contact information to be accessible during non-work hours in case of emergencies or to cover unscheduled staffing shortages
• Must be willing to attend multi-day conferences and training both in and out of state
• Must be willing and able to pass a Civilian Police Department Background Check which will include: Personnel History Questionnaire, Integrity Interview, Polygraph, Finger Print Check, Drug Screen, Credit/Civil Check, Criminal History and Driving Infractions Check, Psychological Test, Reference Checks, and a post-conditional offer Psychological Evaluation.
• In special circumstances, this position may be assigned to support the Police Division in a security role. Persons in this position must be able to perform moderate physical activity such as walking/standing for extended periods of time, walk up and down stairs of multiple story buildings.
• System administration of Records Management and CAD databases, CBI, E911 software, Recording Systems, Radio systems and Mass Communications Software.
• Experience in delegating duties, providing training, developing and completing performance plans and evaluations and participating in hiring processes and/or interviewing candidates
• Five or more years as a Police Communications Technician, three or more years as a Police Dispatch Lead, or 2 or more years as a Police Dispatch Supervisor is highly desired
• Police dispatching experience on a college or university campus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Exceptional computer skills, including internet experience and proficiency with Records Management and CAD systems, CBI, Monitoring Systems, Mass Notification Systems, Fire Reporting Systems, E911 Terminals, Computerized Police Radios, TTY, Recording Systems, Timekeeping Software, and Outlook
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
• Ability to effectively multi-task and prioritize levels of assistance needed
• Strong ability to work well and maintain a positive attitude under pressure
• Comfortable working in a diverse community
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and written
• Detail oriented
• Excellent organization and time management skills
• Highly developed leadership and supervisory skills
Special Instructions to Applicants:Classified Staff positions have specific application requirements: Submit all required documents indicated in this posting. Include a current email address as communication is electronic-based. Failure to complete a timely application may result in the rejection of your application. Applications MUST be completed in their entirety, including job title, duties, months and years employed, and hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Address qualifications, competencies and preferred qualifications in your application, as these along with previous work experience will be used to assess competencies. Answers will be verified against your application and may be checked with references. False information could lead to your removal from the hiring process. Click here to view Veteran and other General Information regarding Classified Staff positions.
For those who meet minimum qualifications, the comparative analysis process will include one or all of the following: • Preferred Qualifications Application Review based on the preferred qualifications listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated and rated against the preferred qualifications based on information submitted within their application materials). Note: Candidates are not physically present for this portion of the comparative analysis. • Search Committee Interview based on the job requirements, preferred qualifications and competencies listed in the posting. (Candidates will be evaluated, scored and ranked based on oral responses). You will be notified via email if the comparative analysis process changes or includes additional assessment tools other than those listed above.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: This announcement is open until April 21, 2017. To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting: A cover letter and resume that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. Your resume MUST include job title, duties, months and years employed, and average hours per week worked as minimum experience is calculated on a 40 hour/week basis. Resumes are part of the comparative analysis (selection process) and will be used as part or all of the comparative analysis process to rank candidates.
Job Category: Administrative Support and Related
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60039 - ADM-VCAF University Police
Posting Date: Apr 6, 2017
Closing Date: Apr 21, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Jennifer Koehmstedt
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00218170