Close-out Specialist (Business Services Professional)
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Financial Services - PostAward & Financial Services
Closeout Specialist (Business Services Professional)
Position #732606 - Requisition 09111
The Office of Grants and Contracts has an opening for full-time University Staff (unclassified) Close-out Specialist position. The position may be filled at the entry through senior level, depending on the successful candidate's education, experience and suitability for a particular position.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
Jobs in this career family provide general business operations of the organization or a combination of operational responsibilities covering multiple career families. Functions include institutional research, statistical analysis, policy development and review, strategic planning and broad unit business operations such as parking and transportation services, risk management, childcare services, real estate and property management, retail services or job responsibilities that combine fiscal, HR and operational management responsibilities.
Professionals are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field.
This position consists of a combination of accounting and research administration responsibilities and knowledge including a strong understanding of the administrative systems' functions and configurations. In addition, this position will work extensively with OGC personnel in all functional areas to bring together the information and functions to provide a cohesive and comprehensive understanding and delivery to our department and sponsor customers. Specific duties include:
- Review and ensure all final financial reports have been submitted as required with the varying rules and regulations of individual sponsor agreements.
- Reconcile and analyze cash with sponsor balances against budget, expenses and revenue.
- Obtain, analyze and interpret financial data required for Federal Financial Status Reports and Non-federal Financial Reports of Expenditure. Review data with departments as appropriate to ensure the accuracy of the data. Review all financial documents for sponsored research approval.
- Monitor and analyze contract billings prepared by the Grants and Contracts Billing unit to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of periodic invoicing and the related payment activity.
- Review and prepare project accounts for closure, resolve cash deficits and accounts receivable issues, resolve outstanding encumbrance or payable issues, process refunds or fund transfers if necessary, prepare correcting entries and close projects in the University finance system.
- Consult with internal department personnel and department personnel regarding allowable expenses and balances.
- Verify that indirect costs are accurate, cost-sharing/matching funds are identified and reported.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
For Entry-Level Appointments
- A bachelor's degree in public administration, business administration, accounting, or a closely related field from an accredited institution. A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
For Intermediate Appointments
- A bachelor's degree in public administration, business administration, accounting, or a closely related field from an accredited institution AND one (1) year of progressively responsible professional experience. A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
For Senior Appointments
- A bachelor's degree in public administration, business administration, accounting, or a closely related field from an accredited institution AND two (2) years of progressively responsible professional experience. A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
- Experience with CU's administrative systems' functions and configurations
- Experience working in higher education
- Experience interpreting financial data
- Experience with sponsored research accounts
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word and Outlook.
- Ability to work in a high volume office with deadlines.
- Excellent analytical skills including the ability to apply basic math and accounting skills.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. 4) College Transcripts Questions should be directed to Sara Esau at Sara.Esau@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60067 - ADM-VCR OGC Administration
Posting Date: Apr 6, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sara Esau
Posting Contact Email: Sara.Esau@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00732606