The University of Missouri Libraries (Columbia, MO) seeks an Engineering Librarian to lead the library liaison work with the College of Engineering and supervise the Engineering Library & Technology Commons. The successful candidate will engage with faculty, students, and staff of the College of Engineering to provide integrated information support for the mission and programs of the College; and plan and direct the activities of the Engineering Library & Technology Commons. He or she will provide reference service, develop the technology commons, create and implement instruction programs, work with collaborative project groups, select materials for the library collection, and engage with users. The Engineering Librarian will also provide leadership and coordination for data management activities of the University Libraries. We seek candidates whose work will reflect a strong commitment to the Libraries’ and the University’s mission, vision, and values, including diversity and inclusion.
- Engage with engineering faculty and administrators, visiting engineering professionals and others regarding engineering information and technology resources. Support College of Engineering grant applications. Further the engagement of students and faculty with Engineering Library services and resources through outreach activities. Design services based on needs and strategic priorities of the College of Engineering, the University Libraries, and the University of Missouri.
- Plan and direct operations of the Engineering Library & Technology Commons with three full-time staff. Hire, train and supervise staff. Establish and meet performance and service standards for the Engineering Library. Continue to develop the Technology Commons.
- Provide premier reference and instruction services to Engineering Library users. Prepare and conduct formal presentations to increase student and faculty understanding of the information landscape and resources. Develop online training tools as appropriate.
- Create, update, and promote use of the Engineering Library & Technology Commons web sites to provide user access to resources and services. Create ready access to internet-based engineering and data-management resources.
- Work cooperatively with the University Libraries, Dean of Engineering, and appropriate information technology professionals to maintain current technology in the Engineering Library & Technology Commons that supports the learning experiences of the students enrolled in Engineering courses.
- Select library materials in engineering and computer science to support the mission of the college. Review usage data; revise collection development practices as needed. Manage and maintain collections through weeding and transfers to remote storage facilities.
- Provide instruction for researchers on best practices for data management. Design LibGuides, instructional materials, and tutorials to advance self-directed learning experiences.
- Chair the University Libraries Data Management Education Working Group. Coordinate efforts to advance data management strategies for the research community supported by the University Libraries. This group develops opportunities for researchers to consult with librarians about data management, reuse, planning, preservation, and accessibility. Work cooperatively with other librarians to assist faculty with data management planning, data documentation, research data best practices, and data submission into appropriate depositories.
- May assume additional responsibilities related to the small, science-related departmental libraries on campus.
Librarians are expected to promote the University mission through professional activities and service on Libraries, College of Engineering, and University of Missouri committees and working groups, and to engage with appropriate professional organizations. There are opportunities to participate in Campus service and activities.
This position will be hired at the rank of Librarian II or higher, according to the qualifications of the final candidate.
- M.L.S. from an ALA-accredited library school or equivalent.
- Minimum of five years of professional experience in a library or similar environment with responsibilities encompassing reference, instruction, computer technology, and public service.
- Ability to articulate a vision for the engineering library and data management services.
- Strong supervisory skills; excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong presentation and instructional skills.
- Evident service orientation and ability to thrive in a team environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of the issues and technical challenges related to research data management.
- Creativity and initiative.
- Commitment to the mission, vision and values of the University of Missouri, including diversity and inclusion.
- Undergraduate degree in STEM field, engineering or science discipline. Additional advanced subject degree.
- Graduate of ACRL Information Literacy Immersion Program. Participation in research data educational offerings.
- Supervisory experience. Expertise in the use of accepted data management tools. Experience in an engineering-related setting.
- Demonstrated ability to establish collaborative working relationships with faculty, IT professionals, and campus research officials.
A cover letter, contact information for three references and CV are required. Preference for applications received by May 15, 2017. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of Missouri is an equal access, equal opportunity, affirmative action employer that is fully committed to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor of Human Resource Services/Affirmative Action officer at 573-882-4256.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Disability Inclusion and ADA Compliance Manager at 573-884-7278.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: