Facilities Maintenance Tech - Building Trades - Journey
Position Number 4065 & 4078
Position Classification Title Fac Maint Tech Bldg Tradesman
Functional Title Facilities Maintenance Tech - Building Trades - Journey
Position Type Staff
The Office of Housing and Residence Life (HRL) at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) provides safe, inclusive, and secure residential communities where a diverse and innovative team of professionals encourage students to pursue academic excellence, personal growth, civic leadership, and responsibility. Efficient and effective programs and services are provided by competently trained and reliable departmental teams in affordable, clean, comfortable, and sound facilities equipped with current technologies. Our diverse residence hall environments promote learning and personal growth through programs that enable students to acknowledge and appreciate diversity through open dialogue, establish a personal sense of interdependence, and prepare them for responsible service as members of the global community.
The Office of Housing and Residence Life is currently seeking two (2) qualified applicants for two (2) Facilities Maintenance Tech - Building Tradesman positions.
UNDER GENERAL SUPERVISION, THIS POSITION WILL PERFORM:
1. A variety of semi-skilled manual tasks and duties in support of general building facilities maintenance.
2. Basic maintenance in residence hall buildings consisting of carpentry, painting, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc..
3. Basic maintenance using power and hand tools to troubleshoot, repair, replace parts, components, and/or systems within building facilities.
ESSENTIAL TASKS INCLUDE:
• Operating, repairing, and maintaining various power and hand tools, maintenance equipment, etc.;
• Working effectively individually or with teams, as well as with diverse groups;
• Communicating orally, in writing or electronically;
• Working effectively in a service oriented environment subject to frequently changing priorities;
• Solving problems using sound judgement;
• Understanding and applying University and Departmental policies and procedures;
• Responding to plumbing and all other facilities requests as needed;
• Occasionally working overtime based on the departmental needs; during the summer months (May through August) to prepare buildings for occupancy;
• Observing and reporting, through the work order system, all correspondence related to the requests and/or work order; defects, deterioration, and wear and tear on the facilities;
• Exhibiting proper safety practices and constructively participating in shop safety programs;
• Practicing proper and safe use of maintenance equipment, chemicals, tools, etc.;
• Maintaining a functional awareness of the typical hazards of the work place; as well as following established procedures for dealing with such potential hazards;
• Performing other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Position is required to be in the on call rotation (after normal hours), as specified by the schedule.
Must have a valid driver's license.
High School diploma or equivalent. Experience in the trade(s) areas related to the position's role may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
Special Note: This is a generalized representation of positions in this class and is not intended to reflect essential functions per ADA. Examples of competencies are typical of the majority of positions, but may not be applicable to all positions.
Valid driver's license is required.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must complete and submit an electronic application for employment to be considered. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application. The application must be completed in full detail for your qualifications to be considered.
Recruitment Range $31,000 - $33,320
Org #-Department Housing and Residence Life - 44502
Work Hours of Position 7:30 A.M. - 4:30 P.M. , Monday - Friday
Job Family Facility Maintenance
Band Facility Maintenance Tech - Bldg Trades
Competency Level Journey
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
KNOWLEDGE - TECHNICAL (JOURNEY)
Performs a variety of recurring and non-recurring tasks/functions. These tasks/functions may involve related or varying processes to test, renovate, overhaul, replace, and perform preventive maintenance on standard building systems. Provides technical assistance to others by troubleshooting standard facilities maintenance issues and determining their cause. Mentors other technicians.
PROBLEM SOLVING (JOURNEY)
Identifies facilities-related maintenance problems that require in-depth analysis, and identifies options for solving those problems. Solve unusual facility maintenance problems that require the application of journey level trades knowledge and determines the most effective and efficient course of action. Gathers and analyzes/interprets information to better understand the nature of the problem. May seek input from subordinates, peers, and/or managers in the decision-making process in order to solve the problem. Evaluates options and chooses appropriate action by considering potential outcomes. Makes sure that problem is appropriately addressed.
COORDINATION - WORK (JOURNEY)
Determines project/assignment by breaking them down into tasks. Sets objectives and prioritizes activities and tasks, adjusts priorities when appropriate. Takes advantage of available resources (personnel, processes, departments, and tools) to complete work efficiently. Anticipates obstacles/roadblocks and prepares alternative plans to ensure timely task accomplishment. Uses time effectively and does not let distractions interfere with completion of the job/project.
Open Date 04/06/2017
Close Date 04/27/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Salary Grade Equivalency 63
Number of Months per Year 12
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Have you graduated from high school or received a GED?
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Greensboro News & Record
- Carolina Peacemaker
- Other Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other Professional Journal
- UNC System Job Board
- Other Online Job Board
- Personal Networking
- * Do you currently have a valid drivers license?
- No Response
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu