Network Administrator III
Network Administrator III
Digital Infrastructure - Network Services
The Network Administrator III installs, operates, maintains and administers components of the university's network and cabling infrastructure. He or she works closely with the Digital Infrastructure operations team to design, coordinate and implement network infrastructure changes and enhancements. He or she works with staff throughout the Office of Information Technology and the university to assess networking requests and incidents, and develops and implements appropriate plans, process and procedures in response.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee installation and maintenance of network hardware and software.
- Establish network specifications by conferring with users and by analyzing workflow, access, information and security requirements.
- Oversee the creation of network and security policies.
- Ensure network performance. This entails performance monitoring, analysis and tuning; and troubleshooting network problems.
- Ensure network security. This entails network access management, monitoring, control and evaluation.
- Manage network equipment firmware.
- Establish accountability standards for the resolution of service incidents, adhering to SLA's and prioritizing work requests.
- Work with User Services to develop efficient and effective resolution workflow.
- Provide subject matter expertise and technical advice.
- Work closely with members of the systems team to optimize data center network and systems technologies.
- Provide mentorship in relevant arenas to other members of the Digital Infrastructure staff.
- Maintain, repair and troubleshoot all network equipment including servers, switches, routers, firewalls, and wireless access points.
- Design and architect solutions consistent with university strategy and resource level.
- Manage vendor relationships.
- Evaluate new and emerging technologies; make recommendations to improve efficiency and performance.
- Make appropriate recommendations for additional resources or hardware.
- Participate in a 24x7 on-call rotation; respond appropriate within standard timeframes.
- Perform occasional work on nights and weekends.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- 		Bachelor's Degree in an IT related field or a minimum 7 years hands-on experience with an enterprise network		Familiarity with Enterasys/Extreme network equipment preferred		Advanced knowledge and experience operating network equipment including routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, wireless access points, and controllers; advanced knowledge and experience operating network services including DNS and DHCP		Proven experience with switching and routing protocols e.g. TCP/IP, BGP, OSPF		Experience with VMware and SAN technology preferred		Proficiency in problem diagnosis and resolution
- Ability to manage concurrent large scale projects 		Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to maintain effective working relationships with individuals with varying levels of technology knowledge across the university
- Self-motivated and self-directed, must be able to work independently and as part of a group, must be able to receive and provide direction. 		Successful completion of an employment and/or criminal history background check is required.
About St. Edward's University
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,800 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the more than 900 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. It is an exciting time to be part of the St. Edward's community as the university increases its global engagement to educate students for the opportunities and challenges of a 21st century world.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are invited to submit an application online at stedwards.edu/careers-st-edwards.
St. Edward's University offers a very generous benefits package that includes group health plans as well as tuition remission and numerous employee retirement plan options. For more information on these benefits, click here to view a summary of our current employee benefits offerings.
St. Edward's University is an equal opportunity employer, and hires only U.S. citizens and documented workers.