Haverford College seeks to hire a full time, non-exempt, fully benefits eligible Catering Supervisor. This position will report directly to Catering Manager and Dining Center managers, and will assist in several aspects of the catering operation, to include planning of catered events, catering production planning, and event set-up, oversight and breakdown. In addition, this position will assist in the general food service operations of the Dining Center. This year-round position requires working early morning hours, evening hours, and weekends as needed. Ability to work a flexible weekly schedule is required.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
- Assist Catering Manager in general operation of the catering department to include: food and beverage preparation; event coordination; food & beverage and equipment transportation using golf cart or other delivery vessel; room set-up and breakdown; supervision of catering staff and maintaining contact with event host as required
- Accurate and consistent execution of assigned catering events at all times in accordance with departmental standards
- Assist in general supervision and working assigned area for the Dining Center operation
- Serving meals to customers ensuring proper quality and portion size, while maintaining the highest level of customer service. Maintain HACCP temperature logs as required for meals
- Maintain back of house and front of house serving areas, catering support areas. Ensure areas are fully stocked, visual presentation is correct, and areas are clean
- Adheres to standards outlined by HACCP sanitation program (ServSafe), unit specific standards and local, state, and federal guidelines
- Assist with scheduling and training of catering staff
- All other duties as assigned or directed.
Education, Training, & Experience:
- High School diploma required. College degree in hotel/restaurant management, culinary arts, or other relevant area preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of catering event experience that includes execution of events and customer service
- Ability to supervise employees
- Must have excellent customer service skills
- Superior interpersonal skills; excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to obtain current ServSafe certification.
- Ability to obtain RAMP certification.
- Must be available to work catered events and special functions in evenings and on weekends on an as needed basis
- This position is considered essential staff and must work during declared inclement weather days
- This position requires the ability to transport catering items between work stations and numerous buildings on campus buildings
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures
- Must possess a current drivers’ license, and be able to pass a Motor Vehicle Record check.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds) 3-6 hours
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): 6-8 hours
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Up to three hours
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Up to three hours
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: 3-6 hours
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): 3-6 hours
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): 3-6 hours
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): 3-6 hours
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): 3-6 hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): 6-8 hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Up to three hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Up to three hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Up to three hours
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Up to three hours
To Apply: Interested applicants should complete the online application, to include a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three references, by visiting https://forms.haverford.edu/view.php?id=382404. To receive full consideration, please apply by Monday, April 17, 2017.
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.