STEMatics Academic Counselor
Bergen Community College has a grant-funded STEMatics Academic Counselor position available in the area of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) to provide Academic Counseling for STEM students. This position will be responsible for assisting current and potential STEM students with the selection of career and curriculum choices and their requirements; aiding students in educational and life skill planning; providing academic counseling and advisement based upon the student’s ability to succeed; advising students of transfer and employment opportunities; conducting academic counseling and group activities which orient the student to academic life and guide the student toward self-analysis and development; referring students to on and off-campus resources and community resources; participating in the development and facilitation of STEM related workshops, orientations and other programs; participating in student and curriculum development; serving on committees to maintain and improve the instructional program; participating in Student Learning Outcomes (SLO’s) and the SLOs assessment cycle; maintaining confidential records; compiling information to complete reports and performing additional duties as assigned.
- Degree in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, educational counseling, social work or career development.
- 2-3 with an in
- experience in community college transfer counseling preferred.
- experience in a community college setting preferred.
- College teaching experience in career and student development courses preferred.
- Experience in creating career and student development courses and course syllabi preferred.
- Experience in and/or knowledge of internship and job placement preferred.
- Experience with one-on-one and group counseling, orientations and online counseling preferred.
- proficiency in the use of career counseling computer inventories such as Strong Interest Inventory and the ability to integrate computer technology; knowledge of Datatel (Colleague UI) is a plus.
- Customer and Student Focus, Building Relationships, Organizing and Planning
- sensitivity and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and staff.
- knowledge and competency in theory and principles of counseling, transfer and articulation, and career technical education counseling, assessment and testing, educational psychology and learning theory.
- Evidence of training involving supervised individual and group counseling practicum/internship.
- experience with outreach and recruiting; ability to work effectively with local community, students and staff.
- of and experience in counseling those interested in STEM-related fields.
- experience in effectively working with students who are undecided/undeclared about majors and careers.
- experience preferred.
- organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills required.
- Must be to weekends hours may
- Must licenseabilityto driveto and and
All interested candidates should send a letter of intent (including the job code G-STEMATICS COUNSELOR), curriculum vitae, salary requirements and three professional references with current contact information. To ensure full consideration, all requested application materials must be received by April 21, 2017. Send materials by email with the appropriate job code in the subject line to email@example.com.
Bergen Community College
Department of Human Resources
400 Paramus Road, Room A316
Paramus, New Jersey 07652
EOE/NJ First Act Employer
Smoke-Free and Drug-Free Workplace