Position Title Full-Time Police Officer (Swainsboro)
Interested applicants should apply through company website https://employment.ega.edu/postings/1292
Job Description Summary
This position is responsible for the enforcement of criminal laws, traffic laws, and campus regulations and for ensuring the safety and security of campus faculty, staff, administrators, students, visitors, facilities, and equipment.
• Patrols the campus to detect and deter crime and prevent damage to property.
• Checks the security and safety of campus buildings; locks and unlocks buildings.
• Reports safety and security hazards to supervisors.
• Enforces campus safety and security policies.
• Responds to calls for service, including reports of suspicious persons or conditions, crime reports, and medical, fire or disaster emergencies.
• Enforces campus parking and traffic regulations.
• Investigates traffic accidents and criminal or non-criminal incidents.
• Recovers and secures stolen or lost property and evidence.
• Provides service and assistance to students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
• Responds to accidents, injuries and medical emergencies and provides First Aid, CPR /AED as appropriate; responsible for calling an ambulance when needed and completing EGSC Accident/Injury Form.
• Completes required reports.
• Testifies in court.
• Performs related duties.
Knowledge Required by the Position
• Knowledge of campus safety and security procedures, techniques, equipment and policies.
• Knowledge of local law enforcement and emergency services operations.
• Knowledge of college policies and procedures.
• Skill in the preparation of clear and accurate reports.
• Skill in maintaining the safety and security of campus faculty, staff, administrators, students, visitors, facilities, and equipment.
• Skill in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
The Chief of Police/Director of Public Safety or the Assistant Chief of Police assigns work in terms of general instructions. The supervisor spot-checks completed work for compliance with procedures, accuracy, and the nature and propriety of the final results.
Guidelines include college policies and procedures as well as local, state and federal laws. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
Complexity/Scope of Work
• The work consists of related duties in the enforcement of local and state laws and of college regulations. The necessity of responding to unforeseen situations contributes to the complexity of the position.
• The purpose of this position is to maintain the safety and security of an assigned campus. Success in this position provides a safe environment for student, employees and visitors.
• Contacts are typically with co-workers, other college personnel, faculty, staff, students, law enforcement personnel, emergency service providers, and members of the general public.
• Contacts are typically to provide services, to give or exchange information, to resolve problems, or to motivate or influence persons.
• The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, walking, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects, distinguishes between shades of color, and utilizes the sense of smell.
• The work is typically performed in an office, in a vehicle and outdoors, occasionally in cold or inclement weather.
Supervisory and Management Responsibility
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
• Must be POST Certified and in good standing.
• Eligible to apply if within 60 days of graduation from a POST approved Police Academy with a Basic Police Officer Certification. Final employment is contingent on obtaining POST certification.
• Possession of or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Georgia for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
• Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the Police Standards and Training Council for the State of Georgia.
• CPR/ AED/First Aid certified or obtain within thirty days of hire.
Posting Detail Information
Individuals who need reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application process should contact the Office of Human Resources at 478-289-2035. Deaf and Hard of Hearing callers may access our campus phone numbers by utilizing your state relay service (such as the Georgia Relay Service) or by utilizing Video Remote Services. East Georgia State College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Tobacco-free Institution, Federal law requires ID and employment eligibility verification prior to employment. Georgia is an Open Records state. East Georgia State College (EGSC) is an associate and baccalaureate degree granting, residential, liberal arts state college of the University System of Georgia, providing its students access to both academically transferable programs of study, collaborative programs in occupation-related fields, and targeted baccalaureate level degrees. East Georgia State College is accredited by the University System of Georgia, providing its students access to academically transferable programs of study, collaborative programs in occupation-related fields, and targeted baccalaureate level degrees. East Georgia State College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award associate and baccalaureate degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of East Georgia State College.
Complete College Georgia
East Georgia State College strives to create and maintain a learning environment maximizing the opportunity for each student to succeed. Each individual student’s academic success is important. Accordingly, every employee of the college has a responsibility to carry out his/her position duties in a manner which enhances the learning environment and communicates that message to students each working day.
This position description describes the specific duties and responsibilities of this position. In addition, each EGSC staff member has the responsibility to contribute as needed to other projects and initiatives to assure that EGSC carries out its mission and attains its vision. This may, from time to time, require active participation on committees or performance of other duties not specifically described in this position description.
Open Date 04/04/2017
Open Until Filled Yes
An offer of employment is contingent upon completion of a background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with East Georgia State College, as determined by East Georgia State College in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials, and if applicable, a satisfactory credit check, Motor Vehicle Record (MVR), physical, and drug screen, and graduation from the Police Academy if applicable.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Upload a copy of your High School Diploma and POST Certification.