Research Assistant - School of Health Sciences, Human Services & Nursing
Supports research projects and activities in connection with CUNY programs
- May assist faculty research groups by configuring and testing equipment, collecting and organizing data, and preparing documentation.
- Performs direct research tasks under supervision.
- May develop or utilize computer-based systems to collect and analyze data.
- May assist in preparing reports of research findings.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Reporting to the Director for the CUNY Institute for Health Equity (CIHE) at Lehman College, the CIHE Research Assistant will prepare research findings for publication and assist in data analyses, quality control, and data management for the Institute and its local, national, and international efforts to address health disparities.
The CUNY Institute for Health Equity (CIHE) addresses gaps in the health status of New York's underserved ethnic/racial populations. Building on the working relationship that CUNY campuses have with surrounding communities as well as the academic resources of each college, the Institute's work is to identify and address the social determinants of health that contribute to the high rates of morbidity and mortality among these populations. It is housed on the Lehman College Campus in the Bronx and works closely with all programs and campuses across CUNY. The Research Assistant will work with the Institute Director and staff in the development and implementation of institute goals.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Coordinate the CUNY Institute for Health Equity data program: prepare, manipulate, and manage extensive databases mostly with biological data; provide assistance with the preparation of project-related reports, manuscripts, and presentations; perform descriptive and multivariate statistical analyses of data, using SPSS, SAS, and Stata; and manage and clean data including verifying the accuracy and validity of data entered in databases and correcting any errors.
- Team with staff on research, community capacity building, knowledge transfer and other activities.
- Serve as resource expert regarding program policies and procedures.
- Make recommendations to improve institute policies and procedures.
- Prepare analytical and statistical reports for management.
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience relevant to the research being performed.
A preferred candidate should have:
- Data analysis software experience including SPSS and Excel
- Data management experience in a research setting
- Experience with analysis of biological data
- Degree in biological or social science
- Ability to develop and maintain scientific research databases
- Knowledge of research methods, grant writing, and research ethics
- Ability to perform descriptive and multivariate statistical analyses
- Complex problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Ability to work in a setting where teamwork and cooperation are highly valued
- Ability to communicate effectively with a diverse population
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit www.cuny.edu, access the employment page, log in or create a new user account, and search for this vacancy using the Job ID or Title. Select "Apply Now" and provide the requested information.
Candidates must attach a resume, cover letter, and three professional references (name, title, organization, and contact information).
May 4, 2017
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Support Staff
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Location: Lehman College
Job Title: Research Assistant - School of Health Sciences, Human Services & Nursing
Job ID: 16572
Full/Part Time: Full-Time