Posting Date April 7, 2016
Position Title Report Developer
Vacancy # V-1145
Department Enterprise Application Services
Division Information Technology
Montclair State University (MSU) is implementing a host of new applications and technologies, including new Finance (PeopleSoft), Student (Banner), and HR (WorkDay) systems, to enable our rapidly growing campus and academic programs. We are recruiting for a number of positions to strengthen the IT team supporting this environment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
• The Report Developer will be responsible for the full development life cycle with Cognos reporting including gathering and documenting reporting requirements, analysis, design, development, implementation and support of mission-critical reports, dashboards.
• The Report Developer will be involved in gathering of Business requirements as well as the analysis, design, development, testing and implementation of reports using Cognos (Version 10.2.1).
• Responsible for documenting the reporting requirements as well as the designs and metadata.
• Develop and manage reporting standards based on best practices while conforming to existing internal security guidelines, implement guidelines and processes related to the functionality and administration of the developer toolset.
• Co-ordinate and manage updates and patches as well as platform upgrades to keep the softwares current.
• Migration of existing reports in Crystal Reports to Cognos.
• Work closely with Java developers to integrate Cognos reports into home grown Java based applications.
• Performance tuning of existing reports.
• Provide technical support and mentoring to junior Cognos report developers.
• Provide on-going production support.
• Help with developing end-user training.
• Ensures the production and non-production environments are configured appropriately.
• Learn other tools and technology required to support a variety of business requirements relating to the reporting agenda.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution; however, applicants with extensive experience in the related field will also be considered.
• At least 4 years of experience working with users in requirements gathering, developing and implementing reports and developing documentation.
• Proficiency with Cognos product suite and at least 3 years hands-on experience writing Cognos reports.
• Significant working knowledge writing complex SQL, PL/SQL queries.
• Experience with performance tuning of reporting queries.
• Solid understanding of database and Data Warehouse concepts.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong analytical, conceptual and problem solving skills
• Experience working with Oracle and SQL server databases.
• Experience with Cognos Framework Manager and cube designer is highly desirable.
• Certifications related to Cognos.
• Experience with Ellucian Banner, Banner ODS, Peoplesoft finance, WorkDay.
• Experience with metadata management tool, preferably Data Cookbook.
• Experience with Crystal Reports.
• Understanding of Data Warehousing concepts.
• Experience with large scale software implementation(s).
• Experience scripting with Java.
• Experience in a Higher Education environment.
• Ability to work independently and well as within a team.
• Project Management Skills.
Commensurate with experience.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When submitting a resume and cover letter, please combine the documents into one single PDF or Word document via the apply link.* https://jobs-montclairedu.icims.com/jobs/1471/report-developer/job
Apply By Until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION